Hi, everyone. I just joined and hope someone can help me.

Is it possible to edit unclear audio, (made using lav mics), from an original digital video tape? Also: Is it possible to do seamless video editing within a scene? I appreciate help with either or both of these questions. Thanks much!

Hi
    You can edit anything but if you are starting off with poor audio then the saying "you can't make a silk purse from a sow's ear" is apt!!!

However if you are maybe trying to get rid of noise there are filters in your NLE that can assist and you can lift the audio level too..but it's best to start off with good stuff!!

What do you mean by "seamless" editing of the video??? You can cut and apply transistions to make one scene blend better to another so maybe give us some more details of what you want to do (and also what the major problem is with your audio??)

Chris

Quote: ChrisHarding
    View Post
    Hi
    You can edit anything but if you are starting off with poor audio then the saying "you can't make a silk purse from a sow's ear" is apt!!!

However if you are maybe trying to get rid of noise there are filters in your NLE that can assist and you can lift the audio level too..but it's best to start off with good stuff!!

What do you mean by "seamless" editing of the video??? You can cut and apply transistions to make one scene blend better to another so maybe give us some more details of what you want to do (and also what the major problem is with your audio??)

Chris
    Hi, Chris. Thanks for your willingness to help me with both issues. Re: the adudio problem: my camera man was not familiar with the camera, and the volume controls were set a little too high, (even though we did a test beforehand). It sounds like a bit distorted/ unclear, as if the VU meters were too much into the dreaded 'red zone'.... Re: the video: I wouuld like to take some things out of the tape, but I don't the result to appear as if it was divided into separate clips; I'd like it to seem like a continuous stream. I hope that this expresses my problem(s) more clearly...?

Depending on what NLE you are using, it should have a range of audio plugins to help with the distortion but you are really not going to make it perfect. Most NLE's will allow you to clip the peaks of the audio which will reduce the distortion but if it's all over-modulated then there is not much you can do. Try a small section of the bad audio first and experiment!!

With the video, essentially cut the clip where you require but make sure that you don't get any jump edits. Wide shots to Closeups or viceversa will prevent this and then put a generous crossfade between the clips so the transition is gradual. Editing is an art so it's hard to give advice without seeing the clip.

NLE's do non-destructive editing so try different approaches

Chris

However if you are maybe

What do you mean by "seamless" editing of the video??? You can cut and apply transistions to make one scene blend better to another so maybe gi