Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Hi Gary

Very cool!!! Just for interest I wouldn't have thought that you would need a fig rig for the DVC20. Does it perform better than when it's on your shoulder????

That sort of rig (I figured) is for the poor people who have to handhold their cameras! I will need to replace my cams next year and I really don't know what to look for!!!! If I have to go to something like the AVCHD HM150 which is basically an HD cam in the DVX100 casing, it's not a shoulder mount camera!!! Then I will need to look for something that will make it into a shoulder mount.

That should be an interesting project!!!

My LED light is an absolute asset!!! Especially at weddings when the lights are dimmed I can just flip a switch and I have light for the people dancing!!

Chris

I must say I really haven't used the shoulder mount ... at all. I think I'm just a stickler for jumpy footage ... I don't like it. And perfectionistic ... I hate it when I see it in my own footage. My experience, which isn't as vast as yours yet, is that whenever my hand lies directly on the camera that's when the "opportunity" to introduce that jumpy footage comes into play. So to date, unless I need/want to be adjusting the zoom, I seem to have a better track record capturing footage when the cameara becomes part of something else larger/heavier/more stable that I'm controlling ... mainly the tripod.

I probably just incorrectly concluded that because shoulder-mounted by default means using one or both hands that'd it'd come out jumpier than on a tripod.

I can see though that if I weren't moving (i.e. walking ... where a stedicam would come in handy) that a shoulder mount could give just as smooth of a pan as on a tripod.

I've got a very flexible Manfrotto 3011N tripod w/ 3126 panhead; I like its height flexibility (~27 to 72 inches).

I might not need a rig for a ag-dvc20p for steadiness ... with more practice ..., but I still feel a rig can help one creative "almost fly-cam" / "almost crane" sort of shot which a tripod nor shoulder mount setup alone would get you.

As far as the rig performing better than on the shoulder. The rig was finished just last night and per above, I rarely shoot w/ shoulder mount, so I really don't have much of an opinion on that.

I should start practicing both more.

PS: The HM150 (as you label it) may be one of the 3 cameras someone on another forum recommended; here's a copy/paste from their post:
    "The HMC150 is an amazing tapeless camera, it has a very wide lens so no wide angle is necessary. Or pickup a used xha1 if the hmc150 is out of your price range, we really like our a1's, every manual control is at your fingertips. The sony FX7 is a very nice camera as well, brand new it is only $2000."

Hi Gary

Actually a shoulder mounted camera is pretty stable. You have the weight of your camera on your shoulder and the pad provides a bit of cushioning, then your right hand is under the strap which gives extra stability, the EVF is against your eye so that adds even more stability and finally I use my left hand to hold the EVF tube so in all I have 4 contact points on the camera and that usually adds up to pretty stable footage.

Admittedly when you walk you need to move "slowly and softly" !!

At wedding receptions I have no problem following the couple doing the "first dance" although the stedicam gives a more flowing result.

Take a look at ENG cameramen and you will see that their footage is pretty good but the other secret is to stay wide angle and close to your subject. If you zoom from 20' away you will get a few wobbles!!!

Chris

Agdvc20P

Been awhile since I've been in the forum.
    Having problems trying to get the camera to show the f stop.
    Followed the manual and still can't get it to do it.
    any idea?

Your cam must be in manual to start with and then simply use the down button and it will display the shuuter speed..press again and it shows the F-Stop and then the gain.

Even my new HMC72's have the same facility..but you must be in manual..no speed or aperture shows in auto!!

Chris

hi i want to know hot to take still images in md10000

Quote: ChrisHarding
    View Post
    Hi Bill

Great!!
    I actually did a wedding over the weekend and had to do some short filming in another room. When I asked them to turn on the lights..they said there are none!!! With the cam on full gain I actually got a fair image but had to tweak it a little in the NLE. It's amazing so sensitive the cams are!! With my GS500 I would have just given up!!!

Chris
    hi i want to know hot to take still images in md10000

Hi Group:
    I'm, new and have a question. Just purchased the agdvc20p and been reading the manual about night shot. My question is if you leave the camera in manual mode and use a light is it possible to get almost the same results that you get at daytime. A lot of my work in done at night and just switched from stills to provideo is a challange.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234