Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Online web design courses

any one can help me with finding online web design courses.

web design course

hey I just started doing web design using Dreamweaver. Way too hard for me. Then I came across this course/software call 90 Second Website Builder. It's soooooo amazing. There were videos and stuff on the site that showed me how to use everything but it's pretty easy to figure out on your own. I can make bomb sites now! The only bummer is I spent hundreds of dollars on Dreamweaver and don't use it as often and 90 Second was way cheaper.

Blog Entries
    However, if you want to learn web design, these quick-and-simple website builders are a bad idea. Dreamweaver is almost a standard tool for web designers and I strongly recommend it. There are good courses at lynda.com (you have to pay though).
    Dave Owen
    MediaCollege.com

Quote: MohsinAbbas
    View Post
    any one can help me with finding online web design courses.
    I've yet to try Dreamweaver, i still find it a lot faster to write my code by hand, then using any form of WYSIWYG editors, i simply consider the WYSIWYG parts useless.

Beginners would be recommended not to watch videos on YouTube and similar on topics such as programming, because you are missing the copy/paste functionality, and targeting specific subjects takes longer then using search, or looking up the reference.

I wouldn't recommend anyone to consider courses in web-design. One reason there are so many to chose between, is that its a subject easily covered from a single google search, which would take you to many of such sites. The courses are widely overpriced limited and outdated.

Wysiwyg

WYSIWYG (the Pablo Program---horrible name) is a program exactly like 90 Second but has NO support. I don't know why he would call it that. 90 Second is not as expensive as Dreamweaver and it's not out of date like FrontPage. If you go to www.90secondwebsitebuilder.com the videos there are way better. No visiting YouTube--unless you want to. I like Dreamweaver but it's hard for newbies. I was just trying to help. But if you're down with HTML by all means Dreamweav-away

Quote: chelsea_goose
    View Post
    WYSIWYG (the Pablo Program---horrible name) is a program exactly like 90 Second but has NO support. I don't know why he would call it that. 90 Second is not as expensive as Dreamweaver and it's not out of date like FrontPage. If you go to 90secondwebsitebuilder.com the videos there are way better. No visiting YouTube--unless you want to. I like Dreamweaver but it's hard for newbies. I was just trying to help. But if you're down with HTML by all means Dreamweav-away

I would like to warn everyone about mentioned software. As of the writing of this, the site itself (www.90secondwebsitebuilder.com) looks like a scam. Note how the site brags about this (presumebly useless editor):
    Even Professional Designers LOVE the Advanced Features...
    Thats laughable, since no professional web designers would resort to such editor. Also note the amatureish layout/style, making the site hard to navigate on, and centering + size of headings.

Note the abuse of tables for layout, deprecated tags and attributes, the lack of a valid doctype declaration, not to mention use of inline and embedded styles which doesn't get cached by the browser, and are harder to maintain, usage of images to display text at some places. The use of fixed page layouts is also rather outdated now that IE supports min and max-width, its more an excuse to make it easier for beginners.

Finally the annoying chat window which pops up when leaving the site really gives the nail a final hit, its not even a real person contacting you very unprofessional.

But then again, I'm not surprised for a site with a name like that. It looks like it was made in FrontPage, or similar outdated WYSIWYG editor'(s).
    Last edited by BlueBoden; 11th Nov 2008 at 02:21.

Quote: BlueBoden
    View Post
    I would like to warn everyone about mentioned software. As of the writing of this, the site itself (www.90secondwebsitebuilder.com) looks like a scam. Note how the site brags about this (presumebly useless editor): Thats laughable, since no professional web designers would resort to such editor. Also note the amatureish layout/style, making the site hard to navigate on, and centering + size of headings.

Note the abuse of tables for layout, deprecated tags and attributes, the lack of a valid doctype declaration, not to mention use of inline and embedded styles which doesn't get cached by the browser, and are harder to maintain, usage of images to display text at some places. The use of fixed page layouts is also rather outdated now that IE supports min and max-width, its more an excuse to make it easier for beginners.

Finally the annoying chat window which pops up when leaving the site really gives the nail a final hit, its not even a real person contacting you very unprofessional.

But then again, I'm not surprised for a site with a name like that. It looks like it was made in FrontPage, or similar outdated WYSIWYG editor'(s).
    I bet they used 90secondwebsitebuilder

the website doesn't even have valid html.

Don't do online courses. Start with the book Web Standards Solutions and progress from there.

Learn to write xhtml and css by hand in a text editor. Dreamweaver is over bloated crap and I don't know one web designer using it.

All you need is a simple text editor. Pay for one that is meant for coding if you have the money.

Study by searching for CSS, Web Standards, and XHTML.

i know around about 5 people that uses dreamweaver.

anyway notepad has always served me well with website coding (xhtml, css, php etc.)

i really dont see any point in these fancy text editors.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast