Saving Transparent Image

I'm following this guide to save an image with transparent background but whatever i do it just doesnt happen.

http://www.mediacollege.com/adobe/ph...ackground.html

Saving to gif or png results to a file with 0 filesize which is unusable.Saving to tiff results in hite background.

Saving to gif/png can only happen if i flatten the image but then it results in white background as well.What am i to do?

Blog Entries
    I don't know why it's not working. Can you upload the image so I can have a look and try it myself?
    Dave Owen
    MediaCollege.com

Yeah why not,have at it.Picture is attached in this post.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Blog Entries
    Okay, this is a PNG file with a white background. Is this the file you're starting with? If so, you'll need to make the white background transparent by selecting and deleting it. That's what I did and the result is below.

Or do you have another original file in PSD format?
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Dave Owen
    MediaCollege.com

Yes what you did worked,but for some reason i cant get it to work on photoshop.

I use the magic wand to select the blue circle then copy into the transparent layer but saving results into a fiel of 0 filesize.I dont know whats wrong on my end.

I'd suggest following a video tutorial, I.e. http://www.youtube.com/results?searc...rch_type=&aq=f

There are quite a few ways to delete the background. Removing the background using erasor, which is to be preffered in some cases. And selecting the background using the magic wand and hitting your delete key, you might need to adjust the level of tolerance to get the best results.

You could also select the object itself using the magic wand, invert the selection, and then finally hit the delete key.

But following a video tutorial might be of better help, there are tons around. However most the tutorials on youtube are still of awful quality, since the creators put little effort into making them viewable. I made a background removing Tutorial for Paint.NET, you can find it on YouTube if you search for BlueBoden.
    Last edited by BlueBoden; 11th Nov 2008 at 01:29.

I use the magic wand to select the blue circle then copy into the transparent layer but saving results into a fiel of 0 filesize.I dont know whats wrong on my end.
    ?

If you want transparent bg simply select (wand) white background, make sure layer is floating (ie. the name of your layer cant read 'background', and if it does, just click 2x on top of it in the layers palette). With white area selected hit delete on your keyboard, and CTRL+D to deselect that same area. File menu, 'save as' nameFile.png (or gif). I think tifs can also have transp bg...