Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

wife says edit these now !!!!

am I the ultimate procastinator...
    I have 22 Video 8 tapes from 1991 to 1996 to edit.
    I have managed to start a few over the years but have never finished one yet.
    I have now exhausted all my "reasons" for not completing the task.
    I have editing prorammes,hard drives,capture devices and all the toys I have deemed essential for the task.Now the Wife has said enough.
    Anyone been there?

Hi Muzzzzar

Been there and done that!! It's actually a LOT easier NOT to capture tapes onto your computer cos you have an hour to capture (plus buying a decent AV Firewire bridge) Then editing each file and rendering for another couple of hours!!!

The answer ??? I would buy a DVD recorder (even on eBay) and just dump each tape onto a blank DVD. (You can always sell the machine afterwards too on ebay)

Otherwise send them off to a duplicator so they can make 'em into DVD's. Here that costs around $40 a tape. For me the DVD recorder is the best and quickest option and it keeps the wife happy (remember she only wants to look at the content so you can usually get away with having to edit them)
    Chris

Absolutely Brilliant.....one computer crash coming up and a new Dvd recorder by tea time.

Blog Entries

I'm not that bad - only 2 years behind... but basically in the same boat. That's why I'm laughing at this.
    SC358
    Relationships are based on compromises - behavior accepted is behavior repeated.

Blog Entries
    Guilty - I'm still there! I have footage from the early 90s waiting to be edited. I got as far as digitizing it all and now it sits on a hard drive in a bookshelf looking lonely
    Dave Owen
    MediaCollege.com

Hi Dave

I started doing that as well with a TV Capture card but gave up after having poor quality and out of sync sound. The only practical way was a DV bridge unit that cost $399!!
    Of course I didn't buy the convertor because I also figured that after digitization would I actually get down and edit and render all this footage. Unless you have a spare computer to do it your screen time is limited so it never gets done!!

Now, my local duplicator will copy a VHS or 8mm tape onto DVD for $40 BUT I found an Audiosonic DVD recorder (they are demo models) for $89.00 and you can dub directly from the cam or VCR to a DVD!!! If you have 10 tapes that's a mere $8.90 per tape BUT there's more!! When you are done you will probably be able to relist the DVD Recorder on eBay and almost get your money back!!!

I think even if I had some footage already captured, I'd still opt for the recorder route...it may cost you nothing in the end and it doesn't hold up your computer with hours of rendering!!!

Chris

Blog Entries
    You know, I've been thinking about getting something like that. I get a lot of people asking if I can dump VHS to DVD but I don't want to tie up my system doing that type of stuff. Maybe I should look for a cheapie recorder as you suggest.
    Dave Owen
    MediaCollege.com

just build a really rubishy computer with a dvd writer and using nero's command prompt to write dvds get the machine to do it automatcally.

It'll take some time to set up but once you get rolling you should get done preatty damn quick

Hi Smifis

You still have to digitize the analogue video!!! so a DVD recorder is MUCH easier.

Dave, do a search on eBay Australia for DVD Recorders, the guy I bought the Audiosonic from has some more. Demo/shop soiled but new for $89.00. They are obviously not the best but work well unattended and mine even had a firewire input!!! as well as the usual analogue input. It also has a tuner so you can even record from TV!!!

Chris

Quote: ChrisHarding
    View Post
    You still have to digitize the analogue video!!!
    Didn't think about that

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast