PFL BUTTONS and FET MICS

noobie question...

can someone explain the following to me in the simplest of terms?

1) what funtion does the PFL/AFL button on a mixer actually do?

2) what is the function of a FET mic? i thought i read that they have the power supply built inside them? so no phantom power is needed?

confused.

The pfl button on a mixer is used for several things. people have there reasons for using it, but I like to use it for soloing individual channels and busses. For those people who can see, (I'm blind,) the pfl button can also be used to set the gain correctly.
    Hope this helps, let us know if you need anything else.
    Quote: theguvner
    View Post
    noobie question...

2) what is the function of a FET mic? i thought i read that they have the power supply built inside them? so no phantom power is needed?

confused.
    Regards,
    Ivan Fegundez. Recording Technician, live sound technician, and mastering technician.

Sorry, I also forgot to mention the afl bus. Afl is just like pfl, but different. Ok did that make sence? Pfl stands for prefade listen, and afl stands for afterfade listen. When you have your mixer set to pfl, you here the audio signal before the fader. So that signal is controled by the gain. If you move the fader, the signal doesn't change in the phones, but note that it will change going to the main outs. When a pfl or afl buttton is down, it does not effect the main mix, even if it effects the meters. When you have the afl engaged, it's basicly like a solo. it's after the fader, so if you move the fader on that channel, you'll here the difference in the phones. It's basicly like soloing the channel.
    Hope this helps.
    Quote: theguvner
    View Post
    noobie question...

confused.
    Regards,
    Ivan Fegundez. Recording Technician, live sound technician, and mastering technician.