What is better 3ccd or cmos?

I'm planning on buying a video camera around $800-$1300, I came across a few, one had a cmos sensor and the other one a 3ccd. Which one is better in terms of everything? -thankyou

Hi
    It depends what you are filming. CCD chips often "smear" if you film bright lights which I can put up with, but as a wedding videographer I cannot use a CMOS chip in my cams because of the rolling shutter effect!! If you are working anywhere near photographers using flash you get horrible results!!! Also I find that CMOS cannot handle very fast movement well. A swish pan will give a bad result. It's a personal choice but I stick with 3 CCD cameras. Just google "rolling shutter" and "CCD smear" to learn more and see examples.

I'm sure others will have different opinions!!

Chris

Not only the number of CCDs but the size make a huge difference.

For low light the more CCDs and the larger they are the better off you will be. If you are only filming in good lighting then the difference is not so important.
    2 x Dual Core Xeon 3.0, Premiere Elements 1 - 7, Premiere Pro CS3, After Effects CS3, Soundbooth, Heroglyph, Vitascene, EncoreDVD http://muvipix.com

Just for interest the pixel spacing plays a huge role in the camera's low light performance too!! The closer the pixels are squashed together the better the resolution BUT this leads to poorer ability to receive light.

Event cameras tend to be manufactured with chips that have fewer pixels that are more spaced on the chip area so although the resolution is lower the light sensitivity is higher.

Check the total pixels on each chip and then see what effective pixels the system uses... if you are craving low light performance the bigger the difference, the better the light performance.

Chris