Thread: adobe photoshop

adobe photoshop

what is the meaning of alpha channel in photoshop? please clarify it? thank you.

Alpha channels are masks through which you can display images. The alpha channel is an 8-bit channel, which means it has 256 levels of gray from 0 (black) to 255 (white). White acts as the visible area; black acts as the transparent area (you see the background behind the image when displayed). The level of gray in between determines the level of visibility. For example, 50 percent gray allows for 50 percent visibility. Alpha channels are usually used with 16.8M color RGB images. The resulting image is called RGBA (RGB+A, A means alpha channel).

Taken from this , which is a reasonably good tutorial on using them.

my understanding of the alpha channel is the part that makes pngs be able to have parts of the image only part transparent. e.g. see through but not completely, like stained glass.

Hi srirsdeo,

Does what has been explained so far helped you?
    There's no bad camera, just a bad user
    Loong . Singapore

The alpha channel is really a mask -- it specifies how the pixel's colors should be merged with another pixel when the two are overlaid, one on top of the other.

Typically, you wouldn't define the alpha channel on a pixel-by-pixel basis, but rather per object. Different parts of the object would have different levels of transparency depending on how much you wanted the background to show through. This allows you to create rectangular objects that appear as if they are irregular in shape -- you define the rectangular edges as transparent so that the background shows through. This is especially important for animation, where the background changes from one frame to the next.

digitaldesperad's reply is all right!

I want Adobe Photoshop CS4, but then saw there was that in a title of Adobe Photoshop Portable.what is the difference?

Portable versions do not require installation to work, you just copy and paste the software into the terminal you are working on and use the software straightaway.

I don't think it is released by Adobe, thus integrity and legality is at stake here.
    There's no bad camera, just a bad user
    Loong . Singapore

hi

I think Alpha channels are masks through which you can display images.

adobe photoshop

You cant mate. You can do the odd editing thing, like a clone stamp etc, but Photoshop is the software for that. Lightrooms purely for image editing, as opposed to converting images into other things.