Thread: Video Bible?

Video Bible?

Hello All!

I've just landed myself a job juggling tapes and running the CCU's in a 6 camera OB truck...

Problem is, I haven't really got a clue what I'm doing and was wondering if anyone could recommend a decent book I could use as a reference while I'm learning?

Thanks in advance, Ben.

Blog Entries
    Hi Ben, congratulations on your new job. Sounds awesome. Here's few questions for you first...

What experience (if any) do you have?
    Are you comfortable with video/TV jargon? Are you familiar with common director's instructions, e.g. "Recue", "Roll A", etc?
    Do you know anything about how video signals work or how to time cameras?

Do you know much about the job? For example, do you know if they expect you to have a technical understanding of video signals, timing etc?

Is there anything in particular you think you need to learn urgently?

When do you start the job (i.e. how much study time do you have)?
    Dave Owen
    MediaCollege.com

Hi Dave - I've sort of started already.

The truck isn't very active at the moment, and I've got about 5 weeks to get my stuff together and until things get busy.

I have absolutely no experience with using the equipment, but having just finished building the truck I know the physical aspects of what is connected to what (have to start somewhere). I'm not new to mobile/on site situations though, having worked as a Vari*lite technician for the last 12 years or so.

I need to have a technical understanding of how pretty much everything works, and to be able to diagnose and resolve any problems that crop up, although priority at the moment is just getting to grip with the CCU's.

The equipment is almost all new and studio standard, including a stack of DVcam tape and hard drive recorders, a couple of Sony switchers, Riedel intercom and about a mile of Triax. Most gear is routed via SDI and Composite matrix', as are the audio signals, and these have to be configured to suit each job, although I have a sound engineer in the room next door to make it sound pretty.

Some information on projection basics wouldn't go amiss either.....

Have I bitten off more than I can chew?

Cheers for now,

Ben.

PS. As for jargon, the native language on board is German, but being English I should (but don't) know both.

Blog Entries
    If you've built the truck then I think you're going to be just fine. I certainly don't think you've bitten off more than you can chew.

I think the best thing you can do is read the CCU manuals, but you've probably done that already. The next thing is to learn as much as possible about how video signals work, waveform monitors, etc. I don't know of any easily available books on this topic but that's what I'd be looking for. Also make sure you know about colours, the colour wheel, etc. Experiment with your CCU controls, try to create different colour effects, etc.

Another good plan is to mix with experienced people. If you can afford to pay an experienced CCU operator to come and spend a day with you on the job, you can ask them questions and discuss common issues. You can learn a lot from the right person in one day.
    Dave Owen
    MediaCollege.com

Hi Dave!

Thanks for the positive feedback. I've got manuals for pretty much everything and although it's not exactly bedtime reading it's pretty down to earth and well written (at least the Sony manuals are).

I'm lucky to have almost unlimited access to the truck, and it's connected to a studio during down-time, so experimenting won't be a problem - I'll let you know how I get on.

Cheers for now, Ben.