Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Couple more things - vocal stage mics like the SM58 have a significant peak around 5kHz to help vocals cut thru the noise the band is making. If you need that, you can get better results in the studio by taking a nice flat condenser mic and adding the peak with EQ.

Also, stay away from condenser mics that run on internal batteries. They're fine for recording, say, dialog, but - aside from the inconvenience of dealing with the &@^# batteries - they'll overload on the sound levels a band produces. A real, honest-to-manfred studio mic runs on 48V phantom, which is high enough to handle any level.

Quote: karl eilers
    View Post
    Also, stay away from condenser mics that run on internal batteries. They're fine for recording, say, dialog, but - aside from the inconvenience of dealing with the &@^# batteries - they'll overload on the sound levels a band produces. A real, honest-to-manfred studio mic runs on 48V phantom, which is high enough to handle any level.
    Many of the mics that I've dealt with can run on phantom *or* a battery... what's your take on these? Are there differences in pick-up between running on a AA and on true phantom?
    Eric Adler (tonsofpcs)
    http://www.videoproductionsupport.com/ Chat at: http://tinyurl.com/vpschat
    Follow me on twitter: @videosupport @eric_adler

The only general difference I'm aware of is the headroom limit that battery operation imposes. A condenser mic on, say, a kick drum can put out peaks in the 5-volt range, which is hot even for line level. Most battery-operated mics will clip.

When these mics are operated on phantom power, some mics show a dramatic improvement in peak handling. Others simply shift their DC operating point and retain the same limitations as when they're on batteries. It depends on the specific mic.

In general, mics designed to run on batteries aren't the most deluxe. There's enough variation that I can't state that as a hard-and-fast rule.

For something less challenging like dialog, some mics are a little noisier on the lower-voltage battery operation; it depends on the individual mic. I haven't done enough direct comparison to have anything useful to say on that.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12