Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote: smifis
    View Post
    Yeah thats a much better example . This is why i don't write tutorials
    Those two recent examples are equally fine and I must say I liked them both. However, they are also irrelavent to what has been originally asked:

I am using Mozilla 1.7.7. When I preview a web page I am working on in IE everything is fine. [...] I have discovered that if I use a Title Tag instead of the Alt tag Mozilla behaves.
    I believe I have tried to write an appropriate answer previously, where the same question was refined in the form as "Mozilla is not showing the ALT attributes - do you know why".

The Mozilla group suggests there are authors and designers who misuse the ALT attribute deliberately and insistingly at their mark up. They further say, an ALT attribute should contain suffice information to substitue their associated images for vision inpaired - incapable or disabled users.

One fine example to those vision disabled users is the computers. They do not download images and try to interpret pixels whether they match anything they already had in their vast data storages.

Instead of this, they would like to take these ALT values and process the information where appropriate and where applicable. Just because of the false-human behaviour who mostly don't know how to behave, they tend to find themselves exploting every privilages and unprotected fields they've once ever had, those individuals now deliberately misuse the ALT attribute for deceiving search engines because they believe their web pages should stand before other web pages of the same content.

For the same unfortunate reason, the machines (*) have developed new ways to compare ALT values with the similar information that are already existing on other web destinations. To go one step further, they also put down each destination on a reputation-based listing so as they could estimate which one of them is saying the truth.

Regarding to your examples, on the other hand, the Mozilla users, a major portion of mobile users today, would read "there was a pig wandering about somewhere" but they would be failing to see 'anything' wandering anywhere just because Mozilla won't interpret the ALT attribute as an auxiliary tooltip display unlike most other browsers do. They don't say ALT is useless, they say, the attempts of having ALT values as a floating and visible tooltip is useless.

So, remembering the Eric's fine example, the followers of web standards and the accessibility guidelines suggest that there's an equation which exactly says the absolute expansion of what really reads there, and regardless of how long it would take, any inconveniences should be part of aesthetics instead of being part of semantics, and this is the point where Mozilla want us to take.

If in a picture it shows there is a pig, then tell the users who aren't very fond of viewing your pictures that there actually is a pig. If you want to have auxiliary tooltips as complementary information then try code-wise stylistic methods other than messing with your own mark up to reach that fancy, pretty looks.

* probably not themselves - at least, it is not so, yet!

sources:
    Web Content Accessibility Guidelines and the specific section on alternate content - w3.org
    Defining cross-browser tooltips - developer.mozilla.org
    Providing text-equivalents of images - diveintoaccessibility.org

best regards;
    Last edited by kunter; 23rd Feb 2009 at 10:07.
    - kunter ilalan web designer
    follow him on twitter and on MediaCollege

Also, if you are in to reading more in depth, TBL has written quite a bit about accessibility in this system he created, now known as the "world wide web"
    Eric Adler (tonsofpcs)
    http://www.videoproductionsupport.com/ Chat at: http://tinyurl.com/vpschat
    Follow me on twitter: @videosupport @eric_adler

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12