Mouth Noises when recording....what do I gotta do?

Hey I have a particular artist that I record (rap) that has a deeper voice with a lip smacking problem. My setup includes a focusrite platinum pro preamp with a Blue Baby Bottle mic, we have a standard black nylon wind filter on the mic and have not had problems with plosives just lip smacks. Is there some particular mic placement strategies I can implement to reduce this? Is there something the vocalist can do to reduce this? Is there a way to edit lip smacks out in editing? I tried silencing the lip smacks while mixing but some of them were in the middle of words and couldn't be edited out. If you have any suggestions to reduce or eliminate my problem I would appreciate any input.

Thanks
    C

Hi sdp530,

I don't do vocals but you could use what's called a "pop filter".

Pop filters are used to reduce the "explosive" sounds P, B, and T. It sounds like your friend's problem is either the P or the B, or both.

And remember that distance is important: some space must be left between mouth and mic so that those unwanted sounds are "given a chance" to dissipate into the air before being picked up by the microphone.

Here's an article that shows you how to make your own pop filter (you'll be surprised what you'll have to buy to make one. It's something women wear! )

http://www.kaiaudio.com/projects/xplosive.html

Best of luck.

Try to have your artist stay hydrated. This usually occurs when their mouth is dry and the saliva thickens.

Microphone placement

Another thing in addition to distance between your vocalist and the mic, is to have him hold it at a 45 degree angle from his mouth (either to the side or above). This should cut down on plosives. If he's doing that "cool rap" thing with the mic practically in his mouth, that could be the problem.

From my experience, if you have him hold the mic a complete hand length from his mouth and angled 45 degrees, it should help. Good luck.

Matt

Kind of a "smacking" noise? Hydration is the key. As a voice-over guy, this happens to me often. Have your vocalist drink at least a bottle of water about half an hour before you start. Should clear it right up.

How to remove mouth noises...

Quote: sdp530
    Hey I have a particular artist that I record (rap) that has a deeper voice with a lip smacking problem. My setup includes a focusrite platinum pro preamp with a Blue Baby Bottle mic, we have a standard black nylon wind filter on the mic and have not had problems with plosives just lip smacks. Is there some particular mic placement strategies I can implement to reduce this? ... Is there a way to edit lip smacks out in editing? I tried silencing the lip smacks while mixing but some of them were in the middle of words and couldn't be edited out. If you have any suggestions to reduce or eliminate my problem I would appreciate any input.
    I have tried many plugins to correct mouth noises in the middle of a word. But ... if I the mouth-noise disappears, in 90% of cases the sound gets distorted as well.
    Some years ago therefore I started to eliminate such mouth noises manually. How do I do that?
    The major problem in 50% of the cases is to find the click. Because mouth noises are usually 9-10kHz waves (could be also as low as 2kHz and as high as 12kHz) they look like spikes on a lower frquency wave. It takes some time before you learn how to find them. First, magnify the audio significantly (at least to millisecond level). The mouth noise looks like a spike on the waveform. When a suspicious spike is found you should learn how to distinguish (it may take months) between a good sound of a higher frequency and the mouth noise.
    Then I am using the pencil tool of my audio editor to correct the wave and undo the effects of the mouth noise.
    Sometimes though, when the spike sits on a waveform of a higher (or composite) frequency it may even be impossible to find it visually. Or it may take TOO MUCH time. To improve the speed and quality, I have developed my personal technique (some plugins + macros). It helps me to find really fast ALL of the mouth noises no matter how hidden they may be.

Since this is a major part of my job I can tell for sure that by correcting the mouth noises manually it is possible to get much better results than with any N,000$ plugin.
    And when I use my techique to find the spikes, the work itself is not too time-consuming after all.
    I am even offering services to others who do not have time/skills to eliminate mouth noises from their voice tracks.

juz get a pop filter, ull want a wire instead of a cotton one juz so u dont muffle the sound

its bout 80 bucks for a good one n ur set

or u can use waves products for 1500 and use x-pop, x-crackle, n x-noise to fix it