wiring up a phono jack

I have a Pioneer 4 speaker stereo in my truck. I would like to wire up a phono jack to have headphones. I bought a 3 conductor phone jack (Radio Shack part # 274-249A) and hooked the right front speaker wire to the tip and the left front speaker wire to the 2nd connection and then grounded the sleeve(?). Now when I plug a set of ear buds into it...THEY HEAT UP!! and it is not playing in stereo. Where did I go wrong?? How hard can this be...I can wire a 220 volt panel and I can't do a little stereo plug. HELP!!

The reason they are heating up is because of the amount of signal the headphones are receiving. Coming from your deck is an amplified signal to run a speaker while the headphones do not require that much power. You are overpowering the headphones and the result is heat. This will not only ruin your headphones, but you run the risk of damaging your ears as well. Simply turning down the volume will not fix it either. For this to work, you will need to go from speaker level to line level. I do not know if there is such a device readily available on the market. It would consist of a step down transformer, but there is more involved than simply inserting a transformer. The impedence is an issue as well. Hope you find a solution.

Okay, so what do I do now. Can I buy headphones that will take the power. It is just a factory installed 10 watt radio, nothing big or powerful. Some one told me that the plug shouldn't be grounded? Does that make sense. I just want to be able to listen to "talk radio" without having the ambient noise drown it out. I drive team, and when I am driving the other person is sleeping and I dont want the volume loud enough to wake her up. I don't even need stereo, just an earpiece will do.

I think Rrybaker is onto it here. The speaker output of your stereo probably is too high a signal for your ear buds. And the impedance of the ear buds is bound to be mismatched to the speaker output impedance.
    Couple of questions.....
    Could you tell us the model stereo is it?
    Does it have a line out connetor coming out the back of the stereo?

Scratch & Rrybaker Info on the radio

Sorry, I am late posting but I had to go to work. (
    Okay, here is the info on the radio that I am trying to put a headphone jack in for. It is a Pioneer KEH-1906ZZ.
    Amplifier: Continuous power output is 10 W per channel min. into 4 ohms
    Maximum power output is 25W X 4
    Load impedence is 4 ohms
    Preout output level / output impedence is 500 mV?1 k ohms
    I am not at all technicallly minded for this sort of stuff but can I buy headphones that will take this power?

Sorry about that

The preout output level should read

Preout output level / output impedence is 500 mV/1 k ohms

Ok Rickety, give me a day or two and I'll see what I can come up with.

Just a guess, but you could try connecting your earbuds to the pre-out. Worth a go. Any comments anyone?