cordless headphones with anc

i am looking for a head phone with active noise control that is cordless or has a removable cord. i am not sure if sennheiser or boise offer these? are there other brands that i should consider?
    Last edited by rudy*66; 31st Dec 2008 at 15:50. Reason: wanted to switch on email notification

Just curious as to why you would want noise control unless this is just for listening and not editing.
    2 x Dual Core Xeon 3.0, Premiere Elements 1 - 7, Premiere Pro CS3, After Effects CS3, Soundbooth, Heroglyph, Vitascene, EncoreDVD http://muvipix.com

hi chuck, i am looking to use this in a workshop, not really interested in music but looking for better noise reduction than with other head phones

I wonder what other people's experiences are...? (hint hint, everybody)

I find active noise control headphones to be only partially successful. Active cancellation works best at low frequencies, which are not the frequencies that cause most ear damage and are not the most annoying ones. A-c headphones' benefit is that they aren't big and clumsy. Their drawbacks are that they require batteries and give you as little as 10dB attenuation at mid-frequencies.

The best solution I've found is a pair of good old high quality ear protectors with no active cancellation. David Clark makes ear protectors with speakers, so you can listen to music, and they attenuate noise by 23dB at midfrequencies. Bilsom makes ones that give you 30dB, but they're big and boxy. For extremely noisy environments, Moldex M-series give you 40dB attenuation. They cost about $30, others cost less. Have you tried cheapo ear protectors from, say, Home Depot for about $7?

Stereo-type headphones do not even try to keep out noise. The only reason any of them enclose the ear is for the sake of bass response.

Blog Entries
    I have the Sennheiser PXC-450. As Karl said they are partially successful. I find they cut certain types of background noise well, for example, when I'm working around a lot of computers the noise reduction is good. Crowd noise isn't reduced as well as I'd hoped but there's still a difference. In a workshop I suspect they would work reasonably well, just don't expect silence
    Dave Owen
    MediaCollege.com

I do remember hearing stories at a trade show a while back of a pair that Bose made that would make it so you could barely hear anything beyond the person next to you in a crowded concert environment... never tried them though.
    Eric Adler (tonsofpcs)
    http://www.videoproductionsupport.com/ Chat at: http://tinyurl.com/vpschat
    Follow me on twitter: @videosupport @eric_adler

Oops, I took another look at the first post... I suppose they don't have home depots in Antwerp, but there must be woodworker supply stores.

The Bose are far better than most A-C headphones, tho not equal to real ear protectors. The cheap A-C phones sold at computer stores are nearly worthless.

Dave, you've gone low-res! I 'spose the roses are at their peak; here it's midnight and -16C. Dang you.

Blog Entries
    Quote: karl eilers
    View Post
    Dave, you've gone low-res!
    I look better in low-res

Quote: karl eilers
    View Post
    I 'spose the roses are at their peak; here it's midnight and -16C. Dang you.
    Ahh, basking in 28C here. Tomorrow I'm off to a music festival for three days with the family - the closest thing we've had to a holiday in a long time so hoping for more good weather!
    Dave Owen
    MediaCollege.com