Alesis iMultiMix 8 USB

I have an Alesis iMultiMic 8 USB Mixer and a ton of older and newer amps (I can't recall their names...) along with a Cubase recording software that came with the mixer. My friends band bought this and really had no idea what they were doing so they asked me to help. I've figured out most of the basics, but a lot of questions remain unanswered. I've done a lot of research on the internet, but so far not much has been helpful...

Can you hook up more than one amp to the mixer (and control what instrument comes out of which amp)?

When recording, is it easier to do it one or two instruments at a time, then using a software to combine the waves?

I'm sure I will have more questions in the future, but this will get me started!

Thanks in advance!

Jonesz

Can you hook up more than one amp to the mixer
    To the iMultiMix ?

When recording, is it easier to do it one or two instruments at a time
    Yes it would be wiser to record instruments separately and combine them using software. The logic being that you can add/edit/discard things, increase or decrease volume, etc... to a track than the whole thing recorded as a single track.

if you get a multitrack recorder then you can all play together at the same time and still be able to edit bits out as if you had recorded everything seperatly. make sure you have each band members far enough apart so that each mic only picks up the instrumnent its ment to and nothing else, try and split them up into different rooms or something like that.