Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hello , New to the site / Need help.

Hello to All ! I've been lurking for quite awhile now , and since discovering this site , I've learned alot. I'm new to camcorders for the most part , I've used many over the years filming my children growing up , but now i would like to take it to the next level and do some cool editing/rendering and maybe produce some short family/hobby related video's.
    I recently purchased a Canon HV-30 camcorder which produces fantastic looking video , and also installed Pinnacle Studio Ultimate v12. This seems to be very good software , but i've got a lot to learn to in order to get full use out of it.
    My problem is , Since installing this software my computer has slowed down tremendously , and sometimes it freezes or crashes. This has been very frustrating as imagined , and pretty much takes the fun out of it.
    If someone could look over the following hardware specs that i'm posting and recommend upgrades or whatever , It would be of great help. I only assuming it's a hardware issue , but maybe not.
    Thank You
    joe

Mainboard : MSI AMETHYST-M
    Chipset : ATI Radeon RS482
    Processor : AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800+ @ 2000 MHz
    Physical Memory : 1536 MB
    Video Card : ATI Technologies Inc Radeon X1300 Series
    Hard Disk : WDC (250 GB)
    DVD-Rom Drive : HP DVD Writer 740b
    DVD-Rom Drive : TSSTcorp DVD-ROM TS-H352C
    Monitor Type : AL2223W - 22 inchs
    Network Card : Broadcom Corp BCM4306(??) 802.11g Wireless NIC
    Network Card : Realtek Semiconductor RT8139 (A/B/C/810x/813x/C+) Fast Ethernet Adapter
    Operating System : Microsoft Windows XP Professional 5.01.2600 Service Pack 2
    DirectX : Version 9.0c (October 2008)

Hi Twobuells

First of all, welcome to the forum and hope you find some answers here!

I personally had absolute grief with Pinnacle including crashes and the like but others love the software. Pinnacle should have the "minimum" specs for a suitable computer on their site so firstly look at those but I would be sure that you more than qualify.

I am suspecting that you are trying to edit HD video here and few realise that you need a monster to handle High Definition..if you are then rather capture the video in SD rather than HD and you will find an improvement!

If you do want to edit HD then you will need at least a DuoCore 3.0GHZ machine with 2GB memory but a QuadCore processor will make life a lot easier!!!

I have used Sony Vegas for 7 years now from Version 4 right up to Version 8 and never had a problem. Even Vegas Movie Studio runs sweetly on my old P4 1.7gb computer without a problem if you even decide to change software!!

Chris

Hello Chris , And thanks for the quick responce and advice. I would like to keep the Pinnacle software in place and make it work , due to it being a x-mas gift from my daughter , but if frustration wins over , it's gone.....
    On the other hand , would there be a conflict with adding a second program such as Vegas ??

For your 1.5 gig of RAM, how many modules are you using? You have a dual channel board that requires memory to be in pairs, preferably the same make. If you have three modules in, that will cause all sorts of problems.

-Met

Hi TwoBuells

I run two versions of Sony Vegas at present without any problem so I cannot see any issues there.

You didn't say if you were capturing HD or SD video from the HV30??? If you are trying to capture HD then even with an extra RAM chip to balance the dual channel, your machine will still be underspec and your hard drive will get eaten up with HD raw footage!!! Even on SD I use a 640GB as a second video drive which is essential and for HD you need to look at a possible external HDD at least 1TB!!!

Chris

Quote: MetaBol
    View Post
    For your 1.5 gig of RAM, how many modules are you using? You have a dual channel board that requires memory to be in pairs, preferably the same make. If you have three modules in, that will cause all sorts of problems.

-Met
    Currently set up as shown here.

Cache L1 : 2 x 128 KB
    Cache L2 : 2 x 512 KB

Quote: ChrisHarding
    View Post
    Hi TwoBuells

I run two versions of Sony Vegas at present without any problem so I cannot see any issues there.

You didn't say if you were capturing HD or SD video from the HV30??? If you are trying to capture HD then even with an extra RAM chip to balance the dual channel, your machine will still be underspec and your hard drive will get eaten up with HD raw footage!!! Even on SD I use a 640GB as a second video drive which is essential and for HD you need to look at a possible external HDD at least 1TB!!!

Chris
    Capturing HD from the hv30. Trying to use camera at it's full potential.
    Sucessfully edited some video tonight , transfered it back to my camera , Then burned to DVD on my DVD Player / Burner that is hooked up to my HDTV. Going this route , I had no freeze ups or crash.

Just for interest the video you made on your DVD Recorder is a DVD and not an HD BluRay Disk is it???

If it's a standard DVD then the end product will be Standard Definition regardless of the source. Although people claim that editing in HD and then writing to a DVD (which is SD) gives a better picture I have yet to be convinced. If you have a BluRay HD burner and a BluRay player then you WILL see a difference!!

As long as you are using SD and DVD's then it's probably worth just downconverting to SD to your computer and avoiding the hassle of your software and computer trying to manage the HUGE HD files.

Chris

Quote: TWOBUELLS
    View Post
    Currently set up as shown here.

Cache L1 : 2 x 128 KB
    Cache L2 : 2 x 512 KB
    Twobuells,

Actually, that's the cache that's contained in the CPU. What is needed is the configuration of your memory...

For example, you may have:
    2 x 512MB
    2 x 256MB

or you might have
    3 x 512MB

That last example is where the problem may be. Dual channel systems requre that you have matched pairs (preferably the same brand and speed) as MetaBol said. If you don't, your system will run much more slowly than it could, and in extreme cases, may not even use some of your memory properly.

At any rate, it sounds like you found a solution, but wanted to see if there was any more we could do for you.
    AngelKnight
    Sony HDR-SR11 camcorder, FujiFilm FinePix S1Pro digital camera

Quote: AngelKnight
    View Post
    Twobuells,

Actually, that's the cache that's contained in the CPU. What is needed is the configuration of your memory...

For example, you may have:
    2 x 512MB
    2 x 256MB

or you might have
    3 x 512MB

That last example is where the problem may be. Dual channel systems requre that you have matched pairs (preferably the same brand and speed) as MetaBol said. If you don't, your system will run much more slowly than it could, and in extreme cases, may not even use some of your memory properly.

At any rate, it sounds like you found a solution, but wanted to see if there was any more we could do for you.
    Ok , Here is the correct info on my memory , ( I Hope ) Does it seem to be in line with whats required for good performance

A0 (RAS 0, RAS 1) : 512 (Double Bank)
    A1 (RAS 2, RAS 3) : 512 (Double Bank)
    A2 (RAS 4) : 256 (Single Bank)
    A3 (RAS 6) : 256 (Single Bank)
    Information SPD EEPROM (A0) :
    Manufacturer : Hyundai Electronics
    Part Number : HYMD264 646DP8JD43
    Serial Number : Unspecified
    Type : DDR-SDRAM PC3200 (200 MHz) - [DDR-400]
    Size : 512 MB (2 rows, 4 banks)
    Module Buffered : No
    Module Registered : No
    Module EPP : No
    Width : 64-bit
    Error Correction Capability : No
    Max. Burst Length : 8
    Refresh : Reduced (.5x)7.8 Ás, Self Refresh
    Voltage : SSTL 2.5v
    Prefetch Buffer : 2-bit
    Manufacture : Week 49 of 2005
    Supported Frequencies : 133 MHz, 166 MHz, 200 MHz
    CAS Latency (tCL) : 2 clocks @133 MHz, 2.5 clocks @166 MHz, 3 clocks @200 MHz
    RAS to CAS (tRCD) : 2 clocks @133 MHz, 3 clocks @166 MHz, 3 clocks @200 MHz
    RAS Precharge (tRP) : 2 clocks @133 MHz, 3 clocks @166 MHz, 3 clocks @200 MHz
    Cycle Time (tRAS) : 6 clocks @133 MHz, 7 clocks @166 MHz, 8 clocks @200 MHz

Information SPD EEPROM (A1) :
    Manufacturer : Hyundai Electronics
    Part Number : HYMD264 646DP8JD43
    Serial Number : Unspecified
    Size : 512 MB (2 rows, 4 banks)
    Max. Burst Length : 8
    Refresh : Reduced (.5x)7.8 Ás, Self Refresh
    Voltage : SSTL 2.5v
    Prefetch Buffer : 2-bit
    Manufacture : Week 49 of 2005
    Supported Frequencies : 133 MHz, 166 MHz, 200 MHz
    CAS Latency (tCL) : 2 clocks @133 MHz, 2.5 clocks @166 MHz, 3 clocks @200 MHz
    RAS to CAS (tRCD) : 2 clocks @133 MHz, 3 clocks @166 MHz, 3 clocks @200 MHz
    RAS Precharge (tRP) : 2 clocks @133 MHz, 3 clocks @166 MHz, 3 clocks @200 MHz
    Cycle Time (tRAS) : 6 clocks @133 MHz, 7 clocks @166 MHz, 8 clocks @200 MHz

Information SPD EEPROM (A2) :
    Manufacturer : Samsung
    Part Number : M3 68L3223FTN-CCC
    Serial Number : 0309EE54
    Size : 256 MB (1 rows, 4 banks)