Premier Pro CS3 Qs

Hi, I'm a newbie to video and just want to edit a .MOV video using Premier.

I've set an IN point & an OUT point in the source window, with the intention of cutting off the first 30secs and the last 30 secs, but I can't figure how to Trim off the unwanted parts.

Can anyone help?

I may also want to cut out a 2 minute segment in the middle of the video.

If I'm doing things right so far, is it the same procedure as I've done above?

Also is there a freebie prog that would do the simple cuts that I need to a .MOV file. I find Premier way to complicated for newbie.

Much obliged for any help

Shuggy

If you want to use it that way, with the source window for trimming, once you have trimmed, you can press "." or "," to drop it in the timeline (one inserts, one overwrites) or you can just drag from the video in the source window to the timeline. There are a variety of different ways to accomplish what you want with premiere, you just need to choose the one that works best for you.

As for cutting out the middle, you really can't do that easily with this method, instead you select what you do want (as you should have done above) and drop it down, so you would do this once for the part the two minutes you cut out and once for the part after.
    Eric Adler (tonsofpcs)
    http://www.videoproductionsupport.com/ Chat at: http://tinyurl.com/vpschat
    Follow me on twitter: @videosupport @eric_adler

Thanks Eric, got it dropped it into the timeline with front and back edited out, did a "Save as" new name, to keep the shorter movie?

But opening it up (the new file) I still have the full movie?

I'm used to cutting audio easily enough in Wave Pad timeline, selecting the unwanted portion and Alt X to cut. Then saving the edits to a new file.

Is there a way of doing this in Premiers timeline, I can't seem to select anything to Cut. Tried various tools?

Sorry, I thought this would be easy as I know Photoshop quite well.

Premiere editing

Shuggy,

Premiere is what is considered a non-destructive editor. What this means is that any edits you make in the time line do NOT effect the original source file.

What you are trying to do is create some simple edits. The easiest way to do this is put the video into the timeline (which you've already done), then move the cursor to where you wish the first cut to occur, then press the "Split" button (or select from the menu). This will literally split your video on the timeline into two separate pieces. Then, click on the first piece (the one you want cut out), and press the "delete" key on your keyboard. Poof, it's gone, and it will move the remainder of the video down on the timeline appropriately.

Do the same for the end piece you want to get rid of, clicking on the second piece this time instead of the first.

In order to delete something from the middle, the concept is similar. Move the cursor to where you want to start the cut, do a split. Then, move the cursor to where you want to end the cut, split again. You now have 3 pieces. Select the middle bit and delete it. Premiere will move the following part down next to the first piece and you're all set.

At this point, you may want to apply some sort of transition to where the cut occurred in order to make it pleasing to watch the change in scene, but that's up to you.

You can continuing splitting and deleting until you're happy with the resulting video, then render the file to whatever format you wish.

I hope that helps?
    Last edited by AngelKnight; 8th Jan 2009 at 16:27. Reason: clarity
    AngelKnight
    Sony HDR-SR11 camcorder, FujiFilm FinePix S1Pro digital camera

Thanks Angelknight, thats just what I was looking for. I trolled through Google tutorials & couldn't find those simple steps.
    Though I did get confused looking for a split button, it turns out the Razor tool did the same thing.

Next I wanted to "Save As" or "Export" the file to a smaller .MOV file, I can't seem to find that option. The only choice I get is AVI and that made it 500Mb.
    The original .MOV file is only 14Mb

When I try the Export > "Adobe Media encoder" option, it does offer a Quicktime option but it thinks I want to burn it to disk & says my writer is not compatible. (Needs Quicktime upgrade)
    But I only want to save it as an edited Quicktime .MOV file

Am I missing something or is it not possible?

Thanks again
    shuggy

I'm not 100% certain on Premiere Pro (my experience is with Premiere Elements) but in PE, to render a video, you use the "Share" tab, and then select a format from there to render. The save as and export functions are for other functionality.
    AngelKnight
    Sony HDR-SR11 camcorder, FujiFilm FinePix S1Pro digital camera

With adobe premiere pro goto file>export>Adobe Media Converter qand then in thw new window choose quicktime and and where you want to save it.
    I cant give accurate instructions at the moment because i;m not on my editing machine. I'll post up again later