Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Time Stretch an event in Sony Vegas

Folks,

Over Christmas, I took a video of the family putting up the Christmas tree by setting the video camera on a tripod and just letting it go. This resulted in around 2h30m of video.

My thought here is to take that and scrunch (is that a word? ) it down to between 6 to 10 minutes of video and then put music underneath it.

All fine and dandy until I went to do it in Vegas (Movie Studio Platinum 9).... I put the video in, editing out some pieces I didn't want, and separating another part out that I wanted to run at regular speed with audio, then tried to time stretch the video. This works fine, but will not let me go beyond 4.0x speed (which results in roughly a half hour of video, still 3 times longer than I want).

After some searching via Google, it seems that Sony has a limitation of 4x speed on time stretching an event?!?! Prior to Vegas, I was using Adobe Premiere Elments 4.0, and that would let me stretch things any amount....

Is my only solution here to render my video at 4x, then pull the new file in as another event and then stretch that appropriately? Seems rather a clumsy solution to me.

I read in a few posts on various places (again, by searching Google) about something called a "velocity envelope", but can find no reference in my copy of Vegas to that. Is that something only available in the higher-end versions? I'd hate to spend another $400 in addition to what I've already spent just so that I can create this one video.

Anyway, let me know your thoughts and comments.

Thanks!

P.S.: One other thought I had was to cut every n-th frame out of each event, but that seems tedious at best, unless there is an automated way of doing that?
    AngelKnight
    Sony HDR-SR11 camcorder, FujiFilm FinePix S1Pro digital camera

Quote: AngelKnight
    View Post
    Is my only solution here to render my video at 4x, then pull the new file in as another event and then stretch that appropriately? Seems rather a clumsy solution to me.
    That's the easiest and likely the most reliable.
    Eric Adler (tonsofpcs)
    http://www.videoproductionsupport.com/ Chat at: http://tinyurl.com/vpschat
    Follow me on twitter: @videosupport @eric_adler

Hi AngelKnight

MovieStudio does not have velocity envelopes like the full Vegas versions and yes your time stretch is limited to 4 x as well.

Ideally what you really need to do is recapture the video using something like WinDV which allows you to capture every "nth" frame. That way your video is compressed to whatever time you want (and the software I believe is a freebie)
    Just be careful if you re-render the file it must be back to DV-AVI. If you render to an MPEG2 your final render will have terrible quality due to the compression!!

Chris

Tonsofpcs and Chris,

Thank you both for your input! That's what I was afraid the answer was going to be.

Seems a strange thing to disable, but I suppose they have to have something in the "lower-end" version of the software in order to get people to upgrade to the "pro" versions. I just wonder what other limitations I'm going to run into.

I switched off of Adobe Premiere Elements due to PE crashing and hanging when editing non DV source files (XViD mainly), and generally being slow when you have a lot of little scenes in your timeline, and Vegas runs SO quickly even when dealing with non-DV source! I guess everything has its limitations....

Thanks again! I'll let you all know how it works out.
    Last edited by AngelKnight; 8th Jan 2009 at 16:45. Reason: More information
    AngelKnight

Hi AngelKnight

Apart from limited tracks Movie Studio has just about everything else!! so don't dispair!!

Grab WinDV and recapture your footage and just capture every 15th frame of your movie and you should end up with around 10 minutes of fun video running at a pretty high speed but it will have the desired effect!!

Chris

Chris,

Thank you. I will try WinDV out as you suggest.

I knew about the track limitation, but the number of tracks that it gives me are enough for that which I do (as long as I can have 3 or 4 video tracks and 3 audio, I'm golden for everything so far ). Good to know there aren't any other "gotcha's" that I need to be wary of.

Thanks again!

Edit: Whoops! I just did some research on WinDV before downloading it, and it turns out that it only works with FireWire. My camcorder doesn't have FireWire capability. Oh, well, guess I just need to go with the render as DV 4x speed, then reload and shrink again...
    Last edited by AngelKnight; 9th Jan 2009 at 00:37. Reason: Further information
    AngelKnight

can you have multiple sequences like in premiere? if you can speed up the video and then make a new sequence and import the first sequence in there ans speed that up too giving you 8x normal speed. you would be able to do this numerouse times.

Smifis,

As far as I know, Vegas doesn't have that ability, but the concept is similar to the render at 4x, then re-import that new clip and shrink again (which will allow me to go up to 16x, then I could do that again, and go up to 64x leaving me with roughly 00:02:20 of video, LOL!! ).

Thanks for the suggestion, though!
    AngelKnight

ahh you know me. gotta have my 50 pence

Quote: smifis
    View Post
    ahh you know me. gotta have my 50 pence
    AngelKnight

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast