Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Need Youtube Movie Tips

Hey, I'm new to this site and movie-making. I'm trying to make a professional-looking movie for youtube, but I can't spend much money at all. I have a Panasonic SDR-S7 Camcorder and I just use Windows Movie Maker. If there's anything I could do to make my movie good with what I have, that would be great.

Looks like your camcorder creates MPEG2 files on a flash drive. If you can import the files into Windows Movie Maker then you should be able to create a decent movie. If you are looking for quality like a Hollywood Trailer your expectations are way too high.

What exactly do you mean by 'make my movie good'?
    2 x Dual Core Xeon 3.0, Premiere Elements 1 - 7, Premiere Pro CS3, After Effects CS3, Soundbooth, Heroglyph, Vitascene, EncoreDVD http://muvipix.com

Blog Entries
    Quote: executor1014
    View Post
    Hey, I'm new to this site and movie-making. I'm trying to make a professional-looking movie for youtube, but I can't spend much money at all.
    Welcome to the forum executor. Chuck is right if you want to make movies like Hollywood with little money. You're first going have to prove that you can do what you can with what you have. Prove it to yourself first, then get your feedback. Many have done so well with so little - speak to them.

A good story performed by good actors and captured with technical transparency will get noticed. Cutting edge equipment is too chancy, if used at the wrong time and may jeopardize the best intentions. Hollywood or Bollywood or no-matter-where-wood style, the illusion is it may seem easy but it's 10% creation and 90% perspiration, win or lose.

Let us know when you post something.

SC358
    Relationships are based on compromises - behavior accepted is behavior repeated.

As far as I know the SD9 is in MPEG2 format so you will automatically get a loss if you edit the file so after YouTube conversion it will even be worse.

Ideally what you need is to do your own conversion to FLV as Jackie says BUT with a professional program. You need to be able to change the interlaced video to progressive and also render it as a square pixel video.

I shoot online stuff to a DV-AVI file and then render it as a progressive (non-interlaced) MPEG2 video with a frame rate of 30fps, square pixel aspect and the size that YouTube will use all done in Sony Vegas 7.0
    Then I use On2's Flix Pro to make it an FLV video before uploading.

All this costs money unfortunately and to get the best quality in your case with a cam that sores in MPEG2 is to edit in camera and then let YouTube do the conversion. It won't be ideal but hopefully your content will outshine the quality

Chris

Thanks

OK
    When I say 'make movies good' I mean like Dom Fera's 'Billy Goat Caller' or 'Wolf.' I can change the clip to an MPEG1, but when it goes on Youtube, it's scrunched. Next, I don't plan on making Hollywood quality movies, just good for Youtube. I'm thinking of getting Adobe Premier Elements, but I'd like some feedback on how good that program is compared to WMM for XP.

Thanks

When the wife and I started editing videos, she started with WMM, and quickly got frustrated with it's lack of features. I did some research, and ended up getting Adobe Premiere Elements. We used that for quite some time and were VERY happy with it. PE has a LOT of features, and can do almost anything you need.

My only problem with it is that it is designed primarily to work with DV video. Any other type of video format will, once you have a number of clips in your timeline, cause crashes. This happens most often if you're using XViD encoded video. I could have re-encoded the video I was using as source as DV from the XViD, but I took the lazy route.....

I then bought Sony Vegas and have been working with it ever since. It also works best with DV video, but it does NOT crash with XViD, or any other source that I have tried. It also has the advantage of being able to work directly with the AVCHD video that my camera outputs without having to convert it to anything else first.

Both applications blow WMM out of the water feature-wise, and both are also easy enough to learn (in some ways, they're easier to understand that WMM was). There are also plenty of tutorials (both on this site and on many other web sites -- Vegas also has a number of built-in tutorials called "show me how"'s that walk you through doing some of the basic tasks) to help.

One other note, both applications are under $100US depending on which version you buy. I bought the slightly more expensive Vegas Movie Studio Platinum because I wanted some of the extra plugins that it provides as well as the DVD Architect, Sound Forge Audio (audio editor) and other features.
    Last edited by AngelKnight; 29th Jan 2009 at 17:02. Reason: Added cost information
    AngelKnight
    Sony HDR-SR11 camcorder, FujiFilm FinePix S1Pro digital camera

Thanks. I think I'll get PE because it isn't as expensive. I know someone with Vegas and she says it's great. I believe that but I don't have much of a budget for movie editing programs. Thanks, though.

It's really an example of YMVV.

There are versions of Vegas that are under $100US, they just don't have some of the extras I listed in my earlier post.

For what you're doing, PE will work perfectly fine. Personally, I think that PE is slightly more user-friendly than Vegas, but for me there are a couple features of Vegas that make it better for me to use (besides not crashing, LOL). You won't experience the crashing problem I did, though, since you're using files directly from your camera.

One other note is that PE has a facility for rendering directly to YouTube, but I generally did a render locally to a high-res version WMV file then took and re-renderd to FLV (also with PE), and then uploaded it manually to YouTube. After some experimentation when I first got PE, I found that the quality was better that way, as I had more control over the FLV settings than if I told PE to render directly to YouTube.

YouTube also has the ability to take higher-res files now, and I don't think that there has been an update to PE to take that into account with their direct to YouTube feature.

Have fun!!
    Last edited by AngelKnight; 29th Jan 2009 at 19:32. Reason: Typo fix
    AngelKnight

I'd like to know exactly what Vegas has that PE doesn't. Thanks.

You asked what features Vegas had over PE. I will enumerate the selling points for me on the product. Please remember that most of the things I am going to list here are subjective observations on my part, and as I said in a previous post, Your Milage May Vary.
    • Vegas has a smaller footprint in both memory usage as well as disk space (installation size).
    • Vegas appears to run a little faster than PE. With PE, I found that in order to get decent playback of any of my edits (even if I added no special effects or overlays), I had to do a pre-render. With Vegas, I only really need to do pre-renders if I have added effects or overlays to the video, and sometimes not even then. This I found even with non-DV source, such as XViD. Note, though, that I have a couple high-ish powered systems that I'm doing my work on, so if your system isn't as fast, you pobably won't see this behaviour.
    • Vegas handles non-DV source better than PE, as I mentioned in previous posts. I have yet to have a crash in Vegas vs. the multiple crashes I experienced with PE. As I also noted, however, this WON'T happen if you're using DV source with PE.
    • The package I got with Vegas included a HUGE number of transitions from NewBlueFX. If I remember correctly, PE also had a large number of transitions and effects built-in (also some from NewBlueFX), but it seems like Vegas has more. BUT, this came at a slightly higher cost. Out of the box, the under-$100 package doesn't contain as many transitions/effects as PE does for the same price.
    That's about it really. From a feature standpoint the two products are nearly identical. I found PE had a slightly more user-friendly interface, especially to someone new to NLE and the concepts therein. If I had started with Vegas instead of PE, I think it would have taken me a bit longer to learn.

There ARE a few negatives to Vegas over PE, though:
    • Vegas has fewer transitions and effects than PE at the same price point.
    • Vegas has a limitation onthe number of tracks you can create while PE I believe allows you to create as many as you want (I think.... now that I write this, I am not 100% sure).
    • Vegas cannot speed up or slow down an event more than 4x speed. PE can make it as fast or slow as you want. I had a post earlier in January regarding this issue in this forum if you want to read more.
    • Vegas' interface is less beginner-friendly.
    I think I've written enough now. Hopefully this answers your question?
    If any Vegas and/or PE users want to chime in, please feel free. I'm sure I missed something either pro or con....
    Last edited by AngelKnight; 2nd Feb 2009 at 04:29. Reason: Typos
    AngelKnight

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast