Need assistance with live streaming

I need to stream live video and audio.... The question is how? The AV input does not matter as it is analog so the question really only pertains to how do I convert the analog signals to a digital signal real-time and then broadcast that on the internet.

One issue is the event is going to be off-site (we are a University)... We do have a Real streaming server which we use to stream other videos but we have no idea what to do with live streaming (but again we'll be off-site so the AV equipment will not directly be going into the streaming server)... sooo, any suggestions? Any sort of guidance would be much appreciated!

you can use vlc. if your doing the streaming off-site then you'll probably be using a laptop in which case buy a usb capture card. you will also be able to get acces to the internet. i know that some mobile phone comapinies offer a 3g ionternet service but i don't know how fast their connection will be. rember with streaming its not about download but upload.

now were at the vlc stage so have a look at this. http://www.videolan.org/doc/streamin....html#id305918

post back any problems you may encounter and i'll try to help also post back to say if it works or not.

Also, for general web streams that you don't need full control of, there are a number of flash-based sites that offer video streaming + integrated chat that may be of use to you.
    Eric Adler (tonsofpcs)
    http://www.videoproductionsupport.com/ Chat at: http://tinyurl.com/vpschat
    Follow me on twitter: @videosupport @eric_adler

Hi, I am using VLC for video streaming in the local network, from a linux platform. But I am having 3 seconds delay. Although I do not have in depth knowledge about video encoding but I tried my best to reduce the delay by changing different configuration settings, like bit rate, frame rate, etc. I am using command line interface for VLC.

Is there any option to reduce this delay.

Nice weekend

Quote: bluesmoke
    View Post
    Hi, I am using VLC for video streaming in the local network, from a linux platform. But I am having 3 seconds delay. Although I do not have in depth knowledge about video encoding but I tried my best to reduce the delay by changing different configuration settings, like bit rate, frame rate, etc. I am using command line interface for VLC.

Is there any option to reduce this delay.

Nice weekend
    3 second delay on a live stream is not that bad
    It has to get from the streaming computer to a server and back to the users computer
    if not exaclty in the same location (or not on a network cached or transmitted worldwide) then there HAS to be a delay
    If you mean 3 seconds from your computer to the server, thats a whole other story
    Please read the forum rules before posting
    Last edited by tonsofpcs; 2nd Apr 2009 at 22:26. Reason: Please read the forum rules before posting