Suggestions: Multitrack recording

[major rewrite] sorry about that, just that i found out that once you have DAC you don't need ext. sound cards. other questions remain ^^ll please forgive...

Hello all~ I'm new to audio wizardry. thanks for reading =)

Well, for the past few days i've been trying to learn as much as possible about digital audio recording but i still can't figure out a couple of things.

Basically, I want to be able to take my laptop around and record music for my friends, be it inside a relatively quiet room or on live performances. Ideally, I want to be able to record 2~4 tracks at once.

My budget is limited so I don't know what to get.

Audio Recording Interface (USB) - Do i still need mixers?

USB Mixer - Mixers usually mix all inputs and output a stereo track, correct? Are there USB/Firewire Mixers that can do multitrack recordings?

---

I was looking at stuff like the Alesis iO|2 (2 track recording?) and Alesis MultiMix 8 USB (but that only records 1 stereo) and some Yamaha Mixer (also 1 track stereo)

So.... what's the most efficient way to record 2~4 mono inputs/mics at once?

If multitrack recording gets too expensive, then i'll probably just revert back to Alesis iO|2 despite of some negative reviews. Since this interface gives me 2 balanced + phantom powered input recording. cheap.

----

any help or suggestions would be very much appreciated! thanks! =D
    Last edited by mapletune; 14th Jan 2009 at 22:06.

Quote: mapletune
    View Post
    USB Mixer - Mixers usually mix all inputs and output a stereo track, correct?
    The cheap ones are usually just an analog mixer and then a DAC with USB interface for the two final channels.
    Are there USB/Firewire Mixers that can do multitrack recordings?
    Yes, these are the non-cheap (read: expensive) ones.
    Eric Adler (tonsofpcs)
    http://www.videoproductionsupport.com/ Chat at: http://tinyurl.com/vpschat
    Follow me on twitter: @videosupport @eric_adler

thanks tonsofpcs for the reply!

Now i know that there are no cheap mixers with multiple output groups =P

so.... i guess i'll just get a recording interface and be done with that >_>

i'll let you guys know how it turns out!