Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Video Streaming - How To?

Hello Forum,

I'm new here, looked around and did not find a posting that really helps me. I therefore have to ask (again) "How do I start with video streaming"? A little bit about my background: I'm a graphic designer and Mac support person. I also know my way around Windows computers, but I'm not an expert here. I did quite some research about video streaming, but I still don't understand much about it - much too technical, no introduction anywhere in plain English. Please take this into your consideration when answering to this posting. Thanks.

I have two video streaming projects that I want to check out:

1.) I would like to stream a frequently changing 45 minutes video to a certain group of people. This video is delivered to me as a normal video dvd. It is important that I'm able to control who can watch this video (probably five to fifteen people within 24 hours after making it available). I basically do know how to convert a video file from one format to another (I'm using the Mac application VisualHub for that all the time), but I do for example not know what format to take for such a streaming.

2.) I would like to stream maybe once a month a live event (lecture) to a certain group of people. Again, it is important that I'm able to control who is watching the stream (probably 20 to 40 people).

If possible I would like to have the viewers to access the stream via their browsers. Many of the viewers are computer illiterates who basically don't know what the difference between a computer and a browser is. This has to be very easy for the viewers!

The whole thing can cost some but not too much money - and I don't even know what "not to much" means. Is this something that can be done for $10 per event, or does it cost at least $100 per event?

The lectures are anyway video taped with a rather good Sony video camera (don't know the specs). It would be good if this camera could be simultaneously be used for the live streaming - or is that in any case not possible and a separate webcam is necessary?

Would be great if you could help me here to get started. Thanks a lot.

PS: To make more clear how illiterate I am about this topic - is streaming an existing video (no. 1 from above) usually called "podcast" now?

Greetings - desertman
    Last edited by desertman; 23rd Jan 2009 at 18:07. Reason: Typo in title

Ok, I was too quick and landed from the search engine directly in the forum. In the meantime I found the (excellent!) streaming tutorial and know a little more.

I definitely need "true" streaming. The format to go with is probably FLV and that means I need a hosting provider who supports that in his plans.

Some of the remaining questions are: Is live streaming to 40 viewers all over the world simultaneously in a very good quality possible and/or affordable? What kind of upstream speed to my own ISP is necessary for live streaming? Are low cost hosting providers like http://www.hostflv.com or http://www.siteground.com good enough for such a task? Any recommendations for other hosting providers? Do I see it right that a possible application for the live upstream would be VLC?

Thanks!
    desertman

... some more research brings some more information and also more questions:

Isn't it possible to use an existing service like Acrobat Connect, Live Meeting or WebEx for such events? Or is such thinking a sacrilege here? Or are these services simply not appropriate for what I want? Does anybody here have any experience with such services?

Greetings - desertman

Let's take these one at a time...
    For your first case, do you need a constant, looping stream, such that whenever a viewer starts watching, it's as if he entered the movie theatre and the video is playing endlessly, -or- do you want Video On Demand, such that whenever a viewer starts watching he sees the video from the beginning?
    Eric Adler (tonsofpcs)
    http://www.videoproductionsupport.com/ Chat at: http://tinyurl.com/vpschat
    Follow me on twitter: @videosupport @eric_adler

I need Video On Demand.

However, the live streaming has become the priority now. That's what we want to check and try; wether we (later) also offer Video On Demand is not clear in the moment.

desertman

VLC could stream continuously very easily, by simply opening a file, setting it to stream out, checking the box on "keep stream alive" (sets the option --sout-keep), and then opening the playlist and clicking the loop button.
    Making multiple streams and/or VOD elements can be accomplished easily with the http interface and Broadcast/VOD control (really, this is vlm, but it's all combined together)
    Eric Adler (tonsofpcs)
    http://www.videoproductionsupport.com/ Chat at: http://tinyurl.com/vpschat
    Follow me on twitter: @videosupport @eric_adler

emanprinting
    Streaming media works a bit differently ó the end user can start watching the file almost as soon as it begins downloading. In effect, the file is sent to the user in a (more or less) constant stream, and the user watches it as it arrives. The obvious advantage with this method is that no waiting is involved. Streaming media has additional advantages such as being able to broadcast live events (sometimes referred to as a webcast or netcast).

help required on broadcasting live video

Hi. I am doing my final year project on streaming live video on internet, and somewhat new to this field. I researched some sites regarding streaming
    Concepts done, theory read can someone tell how to do it practically.
    I want to do some what same(what dessertman posted), i am interviewing a person and want to broadcast that live on my site.
    Once doing it i am looking forward to make this a regular feature.
    Can anyone help.
    2)Also is it possible without paying anything to any site or with available normal camera and general resources.
    * There are some live news channel also like one i saw on www.in.com, how do they do that particular thing(broadcat live news chaanel on their site) and most importantly efficiently i.e at good speed.(wihout being user have to wait for "buffering" message.)
    It would be thankful if some one can help me with this.
    Any reference to tutorial regarding this will be appreciated

Quote: premanjanadas
    View Post
    Hi. I am doing my final year project on streaming live video on internet, and somewhat new to this field. I researched some sites regarding streaming
    Concepts done, theory read can someone tell how to do it practically.
    I want to do some what same(what dessertman posted), i am interviewing a person and want to broadcast that live on my site.
    Once doing it i am looking forward to make this a regular feature.
    Can anyone help.
    2)Also is it possible without paying anything to any site or with available normal camera and general resources.
    * There are some live news channel also like one i saw on www.in.com, how do they do that particular thing(broadcat live news chaanel on their site) and most importantly efficiently i.e at good speed.(wihout being user have to wait for "buffering" message.)
    It would be thankful if some one can help me with this.
    Any reference to tutorial regarding this will be appreciated

Try www.mogulus.com or www.ustream.tv

Please donít mess with java scripts, firewall settings, flash
    players, anti-virus utilities, activeX controls, popup blockers
    or different browsers. And definitely avoid any software that
    disguised salespeople are trying to sucker you into buying.
    None of those things will help you, because your computer
    and YouTube were working perfectly fine at one point, right?
    The first rule of thumb and best option should ALWAYS be:
    don't disable, erase, uninstall, switch, download, alter, add,
    change or install anything. That'll only make matters worse.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast