Want to be able to catch crowd noise

Hello guys currently I am assisting wiith the broadcast of live events from a club. We are sending the audio directly from the mixer, however I would like to know what would be the best way to also capture crowd noise..

is there some type of splitter that could combine both the sound from the mixer and the mics??

Also what is the best mic to capture crowd noise??

Sending the audio directly from the mixer - to where? More specifix please.

couldn't you set up another microphone and add that to another input on your mixer?

Radio Broadcast I take it.

A shotgun mic is optimal, but 2 cheap wired Mics hung from the ceiling work just as well.

But your problem seems to be how to incorporate it. Simple solution is to route the mics thru the DJ Mixer and have them pump it down the line, but that could cause feedback if it gets jacked up too high and the DJ starts talking. It just needs to be kept down a bit. If you are using a Zephyr Express you could pop them in a second input and control the sends separately.

If you are using something else you will need to be way more specific of your set up. We are all guessing here.

Quote: karl eilers
    View Post
    Sending the audio directly from the mixer - to where? More specifix please.

sending the audio directly from the mixer to shoutcast to be broadcasted.

Quote: scb2k
    View Post
    sending the audio directly from the mixer to shoutcast to be broadcasted.
    I take it you are referring to a DJ 2 channel crossfade mixer with a PA mic switcher. I am also assuming you are looking to simply patch in a second mic but you only have one input. Go to your local music shop and ask them if they have a Y patch cable to match your input...ie 1/4 inch or XLR. As far as a mic goes it doesn't really matter, you're only capturing crowd noise from a single point for an Internet broadcast. No sense in blowing 6 or 7 hundred bucks on a Hyper Cardioid mic when it will be bumped down for streaming, when a nice dynamic cardioid mic of medium quality can be had for fifty, and be used for other general applications in other projects and gigs.

Hope this has helped.