Archiving video files

Hi,
    I have quite a lot of video files in DV format, mpg2, Xvid, wmv etc
    They are off my kids, grandchildren, extended family & places i've seen etc.

At present they are store on my 3 external hard drives, a 500gb, 320gb & 160gb.

What i need or would like is program or some way of sorting them into a filed system so that i can search for them by name, year , metadata etc.

I know i could use bridge in Adobe premiere CS3 but am wondering if there is othe solutions available.
    What do you editors who work in TV use?

Thanks in advance.
    Cheers, westie
    A guy walks into the psychiatrist wearing only cling film for shorts.
    The shrink says, 'Well, I can clearly see you're nuts.'

The Photoshop Elements and Premiere Elements catalogs work great for this purpose. Many people have cataloged their entire collection and it can even be used with files saved to DVD or CD.

Here is a brief rundown of how it was done a few versions ago. The catalog in Photoshop and Premiere Elements has gotten even better in version 7.
    http://videoinasnap.chuckengels.com/...gueststars.htm
    2 x Dual Core Xeon 3.0, Premiere Elements 1 - 7, Premiere Pro CS3, After Effects CS3, Soundbooth, Heroglyph, Vitascene, EncoreDVD http://muvipix.com

Thanks for the reply Chuck.

Thats quite a system you have there.
    I was thinking along the same lines of backing up to dvd but since hard drives are cheap now I'm thinking off just using them for archiving.
    But there is the chances of hard drives crashing. Dammed if ya do & dammed if ya don't

Westie
    A guy walks into the psychiatrist wearing only cling film for shorts.
    The shrink says, 'Well, I can clearly see you're nuts.'