Thread: Video Question

Video Question

Wow, what an awesome website. Very useful! Just a quick question, I have been in the music biz for the last 8 years and would like to start doing some video stuff and am pretty new to all of this. If I had a Mini-DV camera and wanted to get it on to my computer through the firewire cable can I just save it straight to an external hard drive? I am renting the camera and only have it for a week so I want to be able to get all my film onto my computer and into Final Cut Pro. Thanks for all your help!

Wow what a nick! mrimportant, yes you may. Change the video capture to the attached HDD under System Settings under Final Cut Pro. I like to open a new folder in the HDD and point FCP to that. Your rushes (captured videos) can be found in the Capture Scratch folder that will be created.

Let me know if it all sounds confusing.
    There's no bad camera, just a bad user
    Loong . Singapore

You can even use WinDV a free capture utility as long as the camera is MiniDV or DV connected via Firewire. Just remember with any capture utility for MiniDV via Firewire you will end up with DV-AVI files at 13GB per hour of video.

Be sure you do not capture to a Firewire connected drive while you capture if the camera and drive are connected to the same Firewire card. You can generally use USB connected drives without issues however I would recommend capturing to a local drive and then moving the files to the external after.
    2 x Dual Core Xeon 3.0, Premiere Elements 1 - 7, Premiere Pro CS3, After Effects CS3, Soundbooth, Heroglyph, Vitascene, EncoreDVD http://muvipix.com

Ha, yeah thanks Mr. Important is my bands name.

It does sound a little confusing but I think I can get it figured out now. Thanks a lot for your quick replies!!!

Hi Chuck

That's an interesting one that I haven't had an issue with as my drives are USB connected.
    I usually hear about people saying that rather use a firewire external drive but I never thought about issues with the camera and drive sharing the same firewire card!!

Do you get a conflict if both firewire connections are working at the same time????

Chris

Quote: ChrisHarding
    View Post

Do you get a conflict if both firewire connections are working at the same time????
    Only if both the camera and the drive are connected to the same Firewire card. I have since installed a second firewire card and if the camera is connected to one and the drive to the other there is no problem.

If both are connected to the same card I would get dropped frames or the capture would sometimes just stop, too much data trying to get through that Firewire funnel.

USB works much better, camera connected via Firewire, drive connected via USB and all is well.

There are technical explanations why USB is better for connecting the drive rather than to the same firewire card, USB likes to share, Firewire does not.
    2 x Dual Core Xeon 3.0, Premiere Elements 1 - 7, Premiere Pro CS3, After Effects CS3, Soundbooth, Heroglyph, Vitascene, EncoreDVD http://muvipix.com