getting permission for stuff

Im about to shoot a mini movie with a couple of friends, for no reason, no class, nothing, just for fun

In this mini movie there is a scene where the main character drives too fast and a cop pulls him over. My question is: how can i get a cop or something that looks like a cop car in my movie? i dont think i can do this but can i like go to the police department and ask if a cop can be in my movie? or what? i have no idea and i need help

also, there is a scene where the main character driving down the road gets stopped by a construction guy, and then a huge dump truck crosses the road. How can i do that? would i have to actually go out and rent a dump truck or what? are there any other ways i can do the two scenes above WITHOUT spending a mega load of cash?

thanks

That's why Hollywood Movies have a budget of $50 million!!!

With everything in a movie use "assumption" to your advantage. Film a guy in a security uniform inside any vehicle, talking on an old CB radio saying "In pursuit of speeding vehicle" and the viewer will assume that the guy is actually a cop... you don't even have to show the outside of the car!! Cut to the cop talking to the driver in the window and the viewer will assume that the cop HAS caught up with the speeding driver and has stopped him!!

With the dump truck you might be able to discover where construction is taking place or something simple like a business where dump trucks leave on a regular basis. Ask the boss nicely if you can film his truck leaving or even in the yard and he will probably say yes!! Just make sure your construction guy actor is there to play his part. Local companies are often more likely to help you out than public offices.

PS: Also offer to add the dump truck company in your credits and give them a DVD of your movie. Next time you need help they will fall over to help you!!

Chris

Quote: ChrisHarding
    View Post
    That's why Hollywood Movies have a budget of $50 million!!!

With everything in a movie use "assumption" to your advantage. Film a guy in a security uniform inside any vehicle, talking on an old CB radio saying "In pursuit of speeding vehicle" and the viewer will assume that the guy is actually a cop... you don't even have to show the outside of the car!! Cut to the cop talking to the driver in the window and the viewer will assume that the cop HAS caught up with the speeding driver and has stopped him!!

With the dump truck you might be able to discover where construction is taking place or something simple like a business where dump trucks leave on a regular basis. Ask the boss nicely if you can film his truck leaving or even in the yard and he will probably say yes!! Just make sure your construction guy actor is there to play his part. Local companies are often more likely to help you out than public offices.

PS: Also offer to add the dump truck company in your credits and give them a DVD of your movie. Next time you need help they will fall over to help you!!

Chris
    wow dude, u have no idea how much this helps lol. Instead of trying to get dump trucks to cross the street when i want them to, ill just wait for them to cross the street and then film them, and im pretty sure the construction manager on site wont mind. and for the cop scene ur right i dont have to show the actual cop car, i can film the main character inside his car and just add on sirens, coupled with his acting mad, it should look like he is getting pulled over, then i can go find some sort of police costume and film the cop walking up to the main character's car window.

but, i have a slight problem. there will not be one word said in the movie, so when i come to shoot the scene where the main character again drives by the same cop but this time he is going the normal speed limit, do i just put the cop in the car, without actually showing his entire car, and then the main char. car just drives by? would that show what i want? do u think the audience would realize that this time around the main character did not get pulled over?

PS: the scene where the guy gets pulled over is in a dream, then in real life he does not break the speed limit and so he does not get pulled over. just a clarification so u understand whats going on.

thanks a lot for ur reply

You can either have a laptop computer or just an old CB radio in the car. An shot from the back of someone in uniform talking into a mic will make the viewer assume it's a cop.

If you have no audio then I would film some flashing red and blue lights to add to the illusion. If you have a standard work light out of frame and alternatively pass a blue and red filter over the lamp with you hand then the car will also appear to be having the police car lights flashing on it.
    Just a broom handle with 2 filters tied on the end and you can then wave it over the work light back and forth to get the effect.

Chris