Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

which one is the best?

hi house,i just finished a training on small scale videography....but,the little problem i have is choosing the best camcroder to start with.......i am seeking help from the professionals in the house....kindly help me out..here are some of the camcorders suggested by some people, Sony HDR-HC3
    Sony HDR-SR1
    Sony DCR-SR100
    Sony DCR-SR80
    Sony DCR-SR60....thanks
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hi Paxson
    If you intend to edit then stay away from HardDrive or DVD cameras for starters!! If you want to get a solid state camcorder then the only real option is an AVCHD model but be aware that you will need at least a QuadCore computer to be able to edit the files in HD.

I personally still use MiniDV tape as it's cheap and you still get a decent image at 25mbs data rate.

Perhaps if you tell us what you want to do with your camera then we can expand our advice

Chris

I couldn't agree with Chris more. All professionals I know are still using tape, and that is quite a few people.

If you want to know about the headaches with AVCHD the information is easy enough to find, just search any forum
    2 x Dual Core Xeon 3.0, Premiere Elements 1 - 7, Premiere Pro CS3, After Effects CS3, Soundbooth, Heroglyph, Vitascene, EncoreDVD http://muvipix.com

i would like to use the camera for videocoverage o a small scale......like naming ceremony,birthday party and small wedding ceremony..

Do you already have editing software? That will help determine what type of camera to look at. Pretty much any of the editing packages today handle DV tape capture well, some handle the files from DVDs and Hard Disk camcorders better than others.

For Premiere Pro or Elements I would stick strictly to Tape based camcorders. If you want to move to another camera format then you should probably look at Sony Vegas or something else.
    2 x Dual Core Xeon 3.0, Premiere Elements 1 - 7, Premiere Pro CS3, After Effects CS3, Soundbooth, Heroglyph, Vitascene, EncoreDVD http://muvipix.com

Okay paxson, from the advice so far, you will realise that a little more serious dabbling into the field of videography involves more than just purchasing a video camera alone. It is a decision you must make, with a realistic budget in mind, to purchase/build a 'work process' (capture in camera, capture in digital, edit and output) that is efficient and value for money.

Let us know what editing software you currently use and perhaps (if any) reason/s for wanting to use a HDD camcorder so that better and more informed advice can be given.

Cheers! And oh, welcome to mediacollege!
    There's no bad camera, just a bad user
    Loong . Singapore

Hi Paxson
    It's actually not as easy as "buying a camera" I do weddings for a living and there is a LOT more needed!!!
    You need, just for starters, two decent cameras, radio mics, lighting, tripods, rigs or stedicam, editing gear, software and hardware all to be able to start an event and be able to finish it with a final, professional looking DVD.

I would start with a tape based camera and do a couple of family events first and see how that goes!

Chris

Hey Paxson. Chris has got good advice, as usual.

My gear:

I suggest the Canon XL2 or the XL H1. I Canon superior to Sony in picture quality. I have the Sony HDR-FX1 at my full time job. I currently employ an XL2 and GL1 for my side work (can't wait to get the XL H1).

As far as tape goes, I just picked up a Firestore FSC-HD60 for the XL2. This thing is awesome. I record directly to the DTE and tape at the same time. The tapes go to archive and I can edit immediately without capturing. It works just as well with the Sony AND the GL1. If you have the capital, it's a real time saver. One of the great things about it is its ability to capture in the NLE native file format, in my case I use Matrox AVI for the RTX.100 and RTX2. This is not anything like the hard drive recorders. I also suggest you stay away from them if you are looking for professional results. If you are interested, look at focusinfo.com.

You will most definitely need an audio system such as an Azden 305LT and a good Tripod (I'm partial to the Manfrotto 3511MVB2).

What kind of budget are you working with? You may want to pick up a used XL1 or GL1 to get your feet wet, but don't forget the audio, it makes a huge difference in the quality of your finished work. Good luck and go for it!

Tapes are annoying to deal with, HardDrives on the other hand, can transfer your recordings in a very short time, I'm very happy about my DCR-SR70, and so far I've completed over 1000 takes with it, of varying length.

I would say, the time and money saved by using a HardDrive, makes up for the likely sad event, that it will crash at some point. I've had my own for about 1-2 years by now.

If we are talking usage of tapes vs HardDrives, then its more likely to depend on how comfortable you are with PCs. Using HardDrives as backup takes up less space then tapes would, and i personally find it far easier then if i had to manage my archive in tapes.

I don't see any reason why the quality would suffer, that would only be the case if you used a crappy recorder.

Something i don't quite get, is when professionals think it requires a smaller fortune to get started. Indeed much "professionel" equipment is overpriced, including the Casablanca editing solution from macrosystem, which is easily matched by software editing solutions for the PC.

You can get a good Tripod for around $20 i guess, sure its small, and you likely look like an idiot using it, but atleast it gets the job done. Just make sure that it moves smooth and easily. Ofcause the lighting setup is important, but thats about the only part i have to agree on. Other then that i just consider it a matter of hitting the record button.

I would however love to get my hands on a stedicam, i just refuse to pay a fortune for something that simple, just because its used by "professionals". Don't get me wrong, if i start earning enough to buy better equipment, then i sure wouldn't hold back doing so, given that it truly was significantly better.
    Last edited by BlueBoden; 14th Feb 2009 at 15:57.

Thanks to you all.....all ur responds av bn helpful...and i wuldnt want u to forget dat 'm new/amateur in ds field...i'll also appreciate if u can gv me a list of equipment to start with....in terms of,editing software,n some necessary things dat u feel i shuld av as an amateur....hoping ur responds.thanks

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast