Fuji S5000 Blank LCD

Hi All
    My Fuji S5000 has decided to present both the EVF and LCD with a blank screen. It also shows a warning that shutter speed is low even if I crank it up!!!

Anybody out there pulled one of these apart????? I guess it could be the CCD gone faulty???

Chris

Can you see the menu with all the options but not the image? The other thing, take a shot and see if the image is captured (see if there's any files to transfer out onto your computer). If they are all positive, together with your description, it sounds like what you said.

If it has been moderately well used for 4 or more years, I will consider that it has done its job.
    There's no bad camera, just a bad user
    Loong . Singapore

Hi Nagar

Thanks for that. I would say the CCD has gone faulty..A whole bunch of CCD's for Fuji, Sony and others in the 2003/4 era were all manufactured by Sony and had to be recalled so it's hardly worth a repair.

I put it on eBay as a faulty unit for spares and it's now attracting interest.. who knows why people would want a unit with a bad CCD but I figure they might have another similar camera with faults or have access to the CCD and can replace it. A few dollars in the bank is better than have non-functional gear cluttering up my office!!

Chris

I would say that's a strange thing. Sadly in today's culture, spare parts are so ridiculously priced that it usually makes more sense to purchase new sets. And oh... you know my 'brushes' with S**y...
    Loong . Singapore

Hi Nagar

Just for interest the chip alone sells as a "spare" for around $180!! That's far more than the camera is worth!! They usually sell on eBay for between $120 and $200 complete. We do indeed live in a throwaway society.

For my wedding business my video cameras are actually paid for in two jobs (that's both cameras!!) so if they fail it's not worth a repair never mind the six odd weeks to actually get the repair done!!

However for the poor amateur who might pay a big chunk of their savings on say, a still camera, it must be heart-breaking to know that if it fails once it is out of warranty it's often just not cost effective to repair!!

Chris

Quote: ChrisHarding
    View Post

However for the poor amateur who might pay a big chunk of their savings on say, a still camera, it must be heart-breaking to know that if it fails once it is out of warranty it's often just not cost effective to repair!!
    Absolutely. I still struggle with this, especially when I am experimenting or finding different ways of doing things cheaply by using old secondhand equipment, to spend for replacements, otherwise finding myself gaining a new white elephant to the piling collection! The exact happened abt 8 years back when I purchased an old Metz hammerhead flash...
    Loong . Singapore

I am starting to like my 35mm SLR set more and more. I've had three bodies die on me (one is thrice my age, one is a plastic remake about 6 years old that I overtensioned the winding spring on and now won't wind, one is the same as the previous one mentioned that on day 2 of owning it was blown over by wind with the film access door open), and just got another one (this one the metal version of the remake) with two more lenses for less than $20 from eBay.
    Eric Adler (tonsofpcs)
    http://www.videoproductionsupport.com/ Chat at: http://tinyurl.com/vpschat
    Follow me on twitter: @videosupport @eric_adler