Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast

Making an image background transparent (photoshop)

easy enough to do but when it comes to saving the image, that's where i'm having trouble.

i understand .jpg's do not support transparency - so have tried saving as a .bmp but when opened up after saving i'm still getting a white background rather than the part of the image on its own with NO background..

any one have any tips for me on how to get round this?

cheers!

Couple of things here.

Staying within PhotoShop and Internet Explorer.

A PhotoShop (.psd) file can handle and work with layers that are transparent. Targa (.tga) files can also be saved with a alpha channel and will be transparent IF the program opening the targa uses alpha channels. IE does not. Targa files when saved have a "bad" habit. If the file is saved and there is only one layer (and it's transparent) or it has a layer under it not active, Targa files default and put a white background under it. Bitmap (.bmp) files are similar but only a few programs will use the alpha channel when it opens. Jpegs (.jpg) files do not save with alpha channels.

If you want a .bmp, .tga or .jpg to look transparent and that program does not support Alpha Channels, you have to build the file in PhotoShop (or like program) and fake it.

If I have gotten any details wrong, anyone, please correct me.

Blessings,
    James

hey james, cheers for the swift reply!!

basically guys, what i want is to take a snippet of an image.. for example say i wanted to take a car from a race track, and have ONLY the car as a final image, so that i could add it to something else later on, so the general shape no longer has square edges of the pallete. think you'll know what i mean.

cutting the car out is simple enough but saving it with out getting a white square around it is proving a tough one!!

i jst assumed the only way of doing it is perhaps making the background transparent??

is there maybe any easier way?

Piggy,

If you are opening your car photo in PS and putting it on another image in PS it is very easy. If not, and you are wanting to move the cut out car to another program it must be able to support Targa files or PhotoShop files.

Now going to what you said about saving the file... When saving the targa file be sure and make a Alpha channel of the car in the "Channel" palette. It will be a black and white cut out of the car at the bottom of the channel palette layers. When you go to save that file PS should default to the 32 bit setting. This means PS sees the Alpha channel you have made and will save it with the image. PS will by default save all Alpha channels and layers masks when saved as a .psd file.

Lots of detail in this kind of stuff, let me know if this is helping.

Tip for the PS newbie: Surf your fav search engine for "PhotoShop Free Tutorials." And if it's ok with Dave *sends up signal flag* I'll post some of the tutorial sites I've found.

God's Blessing,
    James

Blog Entries
    No worries James. Go for it - we're all here to learn.
    Dave Owen
    MediaCollege.com

Quote: JamesSaved
    Piggy,

If you are opening your car photo in PS and putting it on another image in PS it is very easy. If not, and you are wanting to move the cut out car to another program it must be able to support Targa files or PhotoShop files.
    yes, this is what i mean - i want to save the cut out images as only that - with no background what-so-ever..

i work with photoshop so not a complete n00b but have never been able to find any answers to this and it's always bugged me, and right now is the time i need to know how to do it!

the bit abt the 'targa file' and 'Alpha channel' kinda drifted over my head, seems quite complex.. is the targa file a file format? will any1 beable to open it?

would have thought there'd be a simple way to opt to save the image on a trasparent palette? guess not lol

cheers for all your help mate! any more tips tho and links like you said abt would be great.. guna have a look at the targa and alpha things you said abt! see if i can work it out lol!

k i gave what you said a go.. wasnt quite sure where to start.. so i magic wanded round the object i wanted to have left over by its self at the end..the object is on a white back ground so is easy to select, but once it was all outlined with the lasoo i created an alpha channel in the channel palette which made the whole image go black, but left my outlined lasoo flashing white.

then went 'save as' and as you said and it selected 32 bit so i saved it but its still saved with a white background. think i must have missed a step out somewhere? where did i go wrong?

doesnt look like i'm gunna get this problem cracked then!

seems a pain that something that seems relatively simple is such a problem to figure out how to go abt it!

ho hum

Sorry Pigs just kinda busy...

Going work on a file and mail it to you. A .psd file with an alpha channel. I'll give you all the details when i send it. If your mail isn't in your profile. mail me jamesgrafixguru@excite.com and i'll reply with it. may be able to do a online tutorial thing in an instant messager if we can find a time to both be online. i'm east coast. time.

Jame

no worries mate, wasnt soley relying on you but it seems you're the only chap with the k-no-how!

im in the uk lol, so the chat is looking a little ominous!

my mail is abenroberts@nospam.gmail.com

*** jst remove the 'nospam.' from the address!

cheers for all your help fella!!
    Last edited by piggyot306; 19th Jul 2005 at 10:03.

Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast