Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: MAC or PC

MAC or PC

I tell you, every 2-3 years my main graphic PC (Dell) starts acting up, crashing, processing at pony express speed, etc and every year, I tell myself that I am going to switch to MAC, Has anyone does this & what are the positive and negatives?

I would never buy pre-build computers, they usually come with a bunch of obsolate and preinstalled crapware, which slows down your computer, and in worst case it just makes it crash. Each of the manufacturers usually includes their own crapware, even when build-in software in windows provide same functionality, or some times even dose the job better and/or more effectively.

Many of the pre-build PCs have also been quite useless and unstable, some simply restarting due to overheating and what not.

Most software works on the PC, while mac is rather limited. There are also many free alternatives to most commercial tools.

I would never consider buying a mac, atleast not for my main comp. And prebuild computers belongs to the past in my case. Now i buy the parts on my own.

If you are considering buying a mac simply because your current PC is crashing, then you are considering it for the wrong reasons. Most PCs should be able to handle to run 24/7, even without entreprise harddrives.
    Last edited by BlueBoden; 25th Feb 2009 at 15:41.

I agree with BlueBoden.

I've worked on Macs and PCs over the years, and I'd probably use a PC in preference to a Mac. Unfortunately, in the Graphics industry, a generation of users got rusted on in the late 80s, and it's carried on from there.

I think the last word should go to a friend of mine who actually works for Apple:

I get calls CONSTANTLY asking, "How do I open Pages?" or "What does this mean, 'export to RTF'?" Most of these questions indicate that the customers are utterly clueless. NO WONDER they bought a Mac. "Aren't these computers supposed to be so easy to use? Well, then, why am I having such a hard time trying to import a video clip from my camcorder to iMovie? Isn't this supposed to just work on a Mac?"

Everytime I heard that last phrase I go for the throat. I answer those with the following response: "A Mac is no more easy to use, fundamentally, than a PC. Macs have hardware and software problems just like PCs do, they just have slightly different problems. ANY computer is a very complex machine, and you will run into problems with things not working the way they're supposed to sometimes."

"Well, then I should've just gotten a goddamned PC!" is the usual rejoinder.

"Go for it," I tell them. "You'll save a huge amount of money."

On our side of the world MAC's are fairly limited and the mainstream machines are PC because there is more software available for them and they are generally cheaper too.

You don't have to buy a "ready-made" even if you have no technical skills!! Most computer parts suppliers will tell you what you need for your particular application and then will put it together for you for a small fee.

As already mentioned a MAC can break down/need repair/have problems just as much as a PC but generally you will find that the machines are reliable as long as you don't overload them with software so you have no disk space. Nowdays a decent anti-virus program is an essential along with a decent firewall. A lot of machine problems are good computers that are riddled with virus and spyware/adware and causing problems

Chris

Thanks

Great input, thanks everyone.

buying a computer

I don't intend in getting to one of those unlasting debates around today; but I believe I have something to say.

I don't know if MacOS runs faster than a Vista - I am unsure if there is any way to measure this, though, nor I do not really know whether a Motorola chip beats Intel, in terms of 'thousands of calculations per second', but;

many professionals I know of, prefer having 'job-centric' machinery in their lives, either at home or in business; such as deploying an Apple graphics station at work or in the study room - like in my fancies, an IBM or HP-UX mainframe computer to patronize your business at work, another multi-CPU'ed IBM for the ERP or running your web services, various Microsoft operating domain controllers here and there, terminal servers and the terminals of any brand all day at work, a CISCO or Allied Telesis infrastructure with an Avaya communication server - when you dial the zero ' #0 ' internally, an air-thin MacBook under your arms, or Sony's beatiful di Vaio, their Intel-based equivalent, for all the matters that require 'ultimate personal elegancy', an iPod to carry your favorite media with you, a Cannon to make snapshots around, Nokia navigator or a Blue Berry to help you finding your way and ring the bell in pockets. A PS3, moreover, or a Nintendo to kill the frog every night, an integrated home theatre system in living rooms with trustworthy South Korean plasma displays - such as Samsung or LG, besides Japan made acoustics like all-time-favorites the Pioneer, a personal desktop computer at home with an American brand on it, like an Acer or Dell or HP, believe me they're all the same and you buy'em for their financial conveniences with extensive guarantee coverages - for nothing more, they may run Linux or decent Microsoft Vista for following emails, running your messenger and personal firewall etc.. this is all that simple.

Like that in the armed forces - not every vehicle you come accross is a German 'Mercedes'.

A computer isn't supposed to do everything it can throw out, just because you saw it there by clicking on its name on the menus. Computers may look like 'heavy-duty workers' in their nature, but on the other hand, they are also as 'delicate'.

Before making your mind on a computer purchasing decision, you might find it helpful to seek successful people in your area and try to determine what part their computers 'play role' in their business lives and how effectively 'their choice of computers' provided to this. If you can say, at the end of day, 'the computers are important to them' and conclude about the remaing ' because ...' part, then I say there is no harm trying to follow their footsteps since you've already made your search and come up to a decision. Go buy that computer!

Conclusion:
    Like a good car driver, where everybody is a driver - of some sort, I further assume that 'this' reflects another clue for revealing personal qualities. In conclusion, try to customize and personalize your hardware according to your needs. Write down your needs, if they are all appropriate for one type of personality, then look for buying that 'one computer' from whom that says, they're doing the job better than the rest.

p.s. I am aware this article is *not* entirely related with the question that was originally asked in here; I rather wrote it as a more generalized response for the people commenting on this page. For about 20 years or so, I am not used to run into crashing computers, collapsing operating systems, the virus or hacker-wise annihilations, etc.

In case you're having difficulties with lining up your situation with that of mine as described above, see if you can do any help to yourselves by 'behaving yourself' regarding to computers of course as their computer operator.

p.s. If you wonder if I was also aware that I used particular commercial names atop in this article, and not even tried including each and every brands in relavent sectors today, then I must tell 'the others didn't pay'

In case you can't help your further curiousty and ask if these 'privilaged' individuals did pay or not, my answer then will be 'they were on the house, this time!' - cheers

best regards;
    Last edited by kunter; 28th Feb 2009 at 12:41.
    - kunter ilalan web designer
    follow him on twitter and on MediaCollege

shahin samaei

That was not trying to get into this? but it was eye opening & helpful.

Quote: proprint1
    View Post
    I tell you, every 2-3 years my main graphic PC (Dell) starts acting up, crashing, processing at pony express speed, etc and every year, I tell myself that I am going to switch to MAC, Has anyone does this & what are the positive and negatives?

Hi,

IMO, PC's are right for me, the cost is less and there is more software out there for PS's at the moment, as Mac's are closed hardware, the cost of a repair or upgrade is high than what you would pay for a PC.

But as I have only ever used a Mac about 10 times, I can't really say that PC's are better, just that I know more about them that Mac's.

Hope this help's in some way

begreen

Mac user

I teach computer graphics courses at a local college where we use both mac and pc

The hardware is not usually the issue. It is the OS. Windows is the most bloated insecure buggy unstable software out there. Students using windows have way more down time than those using macs. Our IT dept spends 99% of their time dealing with pc issues.

Given same hardware specs the Macs run 30+% faster than the pcs. Oh yes the macs can run a windows system native or through emulation.

Standard longevity of a pc 2 years. Mac 4 years.

Fewer virus's to deal with less updates more secure. Spending the extra money now will save you in the long run. You will get more work done and less time mucking with your system.

:-D

PS windows is originally based on mac os.

http://www.mackido.com/Interface/ui_history.html

Quote: begreen
    View Post
    I teach computer graphics courses at a local college where we use both mac and pc

The hardware is not usually the issue. It is the OS. Windows is the most bloated insecure buggy unstable software out there. Students using windows have way more down time than those using macs. Our IT dept spends 99% of their time dealing with pc issues.

Given same hardware specs the Macs run 30+% faster than the pcs. Oh yes the macs can run a windows system native or through emulation.

Standard longevity of a pc 2 years. Mac 4 years.

Fewer virus's to deal with less updates more secure. Spending the extra money now will save you in the long run. You will get more work done and less time mucking with your system.

:-D

PS windows is originally based on mac os.

http://www.mackido.com/Interface/ui_history.html
    Windows is actually one of the most stable and secure operating systems you will find. Fact is, any operating system can be tempered with.

Security as an argument against any OS, is the reflection of poor man's ignorance.

Windows is not bloated, nor is it filled with bugs as you put it. Usually when something crash, its a bug in the software, conflict with some other running software. Etc.

Any encountered bugs could also be down to third party drivers, or faulty hardware, but a bug in windows itself? The only way to know, is to rule out all other posabilities, those i mentioned where some of the more obvious.

If your students have any downtime at all, they most likely have been occupying them self, with something that they shouldn't have. You should generally be able to leave your system on 24/7, without a single crash doing normal operation.

It could also be your System setup being impractical. Having multiple users on a badly configured system, is likely to course problems. Truth to be told, if your systems where setup correctly, your IT dept would spend most its time on optimization of databases, and general support, rather then fixing issues cursed by its ignorant users.

Honestly, i don't care if macs are "faster", using speed as an argument, is another reflection of a poor man's ignorance, which have many faces apparently. The speed of any system depends on lots of factors, including topics such as, CPU, RAM, Grapichs Card, and even the Harddisk'(s) used. Windows is generally quite fast, vista is also quite fast when configured properly.

I've had my PCs for far longer then that "longevity" you mention, only counting smaller hardware upgrades.

I have a suggestion, don't install viruses, or other harmful software, you will be surprised how easy it is to avoid.

And no, windows is not based on macs. It may have included some of the same concepts, which is perfectly fine, and not anywhere near stealing.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast