Images In Motion

Best Microphone for low end furnace noise!

Hello I am a first time user of this website, but I must admit it is a very well educating web site and I am certainly glad that I have found it.

My question is this:
    We are shooting in an office enviroment for 4 months and we are looking for a microphone that is a great microphone obviously, but as well as one that will eliminate or cancel the sound of the office air conditioner that we have no control over. Can anyone please advise me of a microphone that would work good in this enviroment?

Thanks in Advance,
    Images In Motion

Microphone

Hey there:

I'm assuming you are shooting an interview and you want to plug in a mic to your camera and not have the a/c noise? Is the noise creeping into interviews you've done previously? Or is it just background footage and you are finding the a/c noise is too loud?

Why not shoot away from the a/c unit in either case? If you want a mic that cancels that sort of intermittent noise, be prepared to pay huge $$$$. I saw such a mic at an FM station once, and let me tell you, it was not cheap. But it did deal very effectively with an overhead a/c vent coming on, a door to the studio being opened and closed etc.

I would say make sure you check you camera's channel 1 and channel 2 audio levels. Where are they set at? Another option is a lapel mic. These seem to be better at cancelling background noises, while still picking up a person speaking. Still another is to hold the handheld mic closer to a person who's speaking, but beware, you'll also get more "plosives" and other breath sounds.

Matt

Blog Entries
    Matt's suggestion of a lap mic is a good one if you're shooting interviews. Lap mics are great at isolating sound to the person they are attached to.

If you need a more general-purpose mic it's important to understand the directional characteristics of microphones. You will be looking for a directional mic which picks up sound only from the direction it is being pointed in. Look for any mic with a cardioid or hypercardioid pattern (these patterns are usually shown on the mic's packaging or even on the mic itself).
    Dave Owen
    MediaCollege.com