Beginner question about video size and quality

Hi!

When I record video from TV to my computer I always get very large data.

For instance, when I record three hours of video I get approx 10GB of mpg data, and it's not very fancy quality..

I have a digital TV receiver which I connect to recording device (LG One Touch Recording for the moment, but have had the same problem with internal tv cards also). I connect using a composite cable.

I'm using a preset in the recording application which renders the following options:

Format: "DVD video" - Renders mpg files
    Video type: PAL
    Resolution: 720x576

I've also used Chris TV before which has a very large amount of options to configure the recording, but I never came close to the size I would like.

Along my own reasoning, I should be able to record in the same quality as seen on the TV (more or less DVD quality) and I shoul be able to fit it on a single DVD. I've seen three hour long movies fit onto a DVD so why shouldn't I be able to record it into this size?

I appreciate any help you can give me to understand how all this works.
    Thanks.
    /Robert

depends if you want to edit it afterwards. for full quality you can use uncompressed avi's which is 13MB's per minute.

Quote: sharkin
    View Post
    Hi!

When I record video from TV to my computer I always get very large data.

For instance, when I record three hours of video I get approx 10GB of mpg data, and it's not very fancy quality..

I have a digital TV receiver which I connect to recording device (LG One Touch Recording for the moment, but have had the same problem with internal tv cards also). I connect using a composite cable.

I'm using a preset in the recording application which renders the following options:

Format: "DVD video" - Renders mpg files
    Video type: PAL
    Resolution: 720x576

I've also used Chris TV before which has a very large amount of options to configure the recording, but I never came close to the size I would like.

Along my own reasoning, I should be able to record in the same quality as seen on the TV (more or less DVD quality) and I shoul be able to fit it on a single DVD. I've seen three hour long movies fit onto a DVD so why shouldn't I be able to record it into this size?

I appreciate any help you can give me to understand how all this works.
    Thanks.
    /Robert

i met the same problem when i was a student

You need to search for a capture card that uses a compressed format such as MP4 or mpeg
    not AVI
    even movie maker (basic) can capture in wmv and you can set the quality versus size
    there are some out there

at the end of the day its always going to be a compromise on quality versus file size
    But, what you can do is capture then compress
    Please read the forum rules before posting
    this will squeeze a file real small with high quality
    Last edited by tonsofpcs; 2nd Apr 2009 at 22:29. Reason: Please read the forum rules before posting