Best method to present undownloadable video

I have been asked by a client to build a site with short instructional videos that must not be downloadable.

So I'm assuming streaming: Correct?

Which format is the best for this: I work on a Mac, so would prefer QuickTime.

How easy is it to produce videos in that (or any other) format that cannot be grabbed/downloaded?

TIA!

Blog Entries
    First of all you must make it clear to your client that there is absolutely no way to completely prevent anyone from stealing the video. If it is viewable on a computer, it can be captured and stolen.

The difference is that a downloadable file is much easier to steal since it's already saved on the user's computer in the same format it was viewed. If you prevent downloading, the video can still be captured with any number of utilities that are available on the net. Preventing downloads only stops casual thieves - it won't stop determined ones.

Having said all this, you are quite right in thinking that streaming video is the way to go. With streaming video the file isn't actually downloaded so you are providing reasonable protection (as well as other benefits).

How you produce the video is not affected. You can take the same file and make it available as a download or stream, so you can at least get started on making the video without worrying too much about the final format.

To stream the video you need to find a suitable server. To be honest I've lost track of all the options available because they keep changing, but if you Google "streaming video service" I'm sure you'll find lots of options.

As for the format you decide to stream, that's personal preference. Flash, Windows Media and Quicktime are all good options. I personally wouldn't use Real Media as too many people are abandoning it. DivX is another option that is good quality but less popular.
    Dave Owen
    MediaCollege.com

Dave,

Thanks - that's a really helpful reply. It clarifies things for me enormously. Your help much appreciated :-)

would u plz comment on this method

i want to do the same thing on my site, videos that cant be downloaded. can i program the site so it detects capture desktop software or any software the captures videos? is this possible and how if u know