Recording isn't going so well need help.

I am new to the board and I stumbled over this site trying to research a few things on our system at Church. We have no formal training but were given some of the basics on how the board operates. We desire much more now, any help given would be great. TY in advance.

We have a Yamaha 24mg/14fx, 2 choir mics, 4 Sennheiser mics, 2 wireless Shure mics, 1 Sennheiser wireless. We have 2 keyboards and 1 organ running into the board. Only the mics are being recorded into the mix however the instruments seem to much louder than the vocals. (Sorry left out we are using Garageband to record currently, we did use LOGICPRO 8 at one point but we still had the same problem.) Is there anything we can do to bring out a better quality recording. If need be I can upload some of the recordings to our Church website so you can hear some examples.

Confusing - each mic and each instrument has its own input channel, right? If the instruments are out of balance, you should be able to just adjust the controls. I'm missing something here.

Yes, an example on your church site would be helpful.

Thank you for responding. Yes each instrument and mic has its own channel within the board. However it doesn't have its own track within the recording. The Mac only has 1 audio line input and that line only gives us 2 tracks to record off of. Everything is balanced or centered (if your talking about panning). I will upload something to our church website tomorrow.http://www.greaterbrookville church.org or http://greaterbrookvillechurch.podbean.com

Quote: krikteek
    View Post
    Thank you for responding. Yes each instrument and mic has its own channel within the board. However it doesn't have its own track within the recording. The Mac only has 1 audio line input and that line only gives us 2 tracks to record off of. Everything is balanced or centered (if your talking about panning). I will upload something to our church website tomorrow.http://www.greaterbrookville church.org or http://greaterbrookvillechurch.podbean.com
    Do you have any AUX sends that are currently unused?

Board mixes (just the main mix) are never ideal. The levels needed for live reinforcement won't be what's needed on tape.

If you have an aux that is available, create a mix for the recording on the aux send. just like you would with a monitor/foldback mix, adjust each channels level into the aux to create a pleasing mix on the recording.

Without a second audio input, this is probably the best fix for now.

If you had a second audio input, you could try using the sub-groups (one for instruments and one for vox) and then mix them accordingly later on, but it doesn't sound like this is an option.

Quote: Bassred
    View Post
    Do you have any AUX sends that are currently unused?

Board mixes (just the main mix) are never ideal. The levels needed for live reinforcement won't be what's needed on tape.

If you have an aux that is available, create a mix for the recording on the aux send. just like you would with a monitor/foldback mix, adjust each channels level into the aux to create a pleasing mix on the recording.

Without a second audio input, this is probably the best fix for now.

If you had a second audio input, you could try using the sub-groups (one for instruments and one for vox) and then mix them accordingly later on, but it doesn't sound like this is an option.
    I do have 2-4 aux sends that are unused. But I am not sure how to set up your suggestion. What type of cables would I need? Is there a trs to usb? Or should I just use trs to head phone jack?

View Post
    I do have 2-4 aux sends that are unused. But I am not sure how to set up your suggestion. What type of cables would I need? Is there a trs to usb? Or should I just use trs to head phone jack?
    The Aux outs are 1/4" . Run each channel into the aux send, using headphones, set the level of each channel that is sent to the aux so that the overall output signal for htat aux is what you'd like to hear recorded. Run a 1/4" cable from the aux into your recording device.

are you using the board as an audio interface? (USB 2track out to DAW)

the funny thing is your gain-stage should be like your live output.. if a signal is too loud, try attenuating your pre-amp gain and compensating by adjusting your fader for the channel.

the yamaha MG boards arent quite a full-on live/recording board despite their inbuilt USB audio interface (certain models only)

if you have the budget.. id recommend buying another board and split the signals to each... one for live, one for recording...

that way you can mix your recording signals adjustingly without ruining you live performance...

or... you could invest in a Presonus StudioLive 16.4.2?

whatever you do, good luck and hope this helps a bit....

Cam.

thanks to bassred and cameron. Those tips helped out alot we have a much more balanced sound . We have all the mics running from 3/4 to all the way open. And the instruments 1/4 to half open. The only thing we have to do now is get the drum to play a little softer.

View Post
    thanks to bassred and cameron. Those tips helped out alot we have a much more balanced sound . We have all the mics running from 3/4 to all the way open. And the instruments 1/4 to half open. The only thing we have to do now is get the drum to play a little softer.
    When you figure out how to make that happen, let me know.