Thread: Amplifier

Amplifier

Does it matter if I connect a 160 watts speakers to a 1000 watts amplifier.

Thanks

Tui,

It does matter. Once you go above the rated wattage of a speaker, it will malfunction and cause damage. If is best to match not only ohms, but wattages as well.

Amlpifier

Quote: Rrybaker
    Tui,

It does matter. Once you go above the rated wattage of a speaker, it will malfunction and cause damage. If is best to match not only ohms, but wattages as well.
    Thanks for that info. I have been trying to connect 4 speakers of 40 watts each to a (Toa 900 Series II P-912 MK2 Amplifier) its output rated 120 watts. I am using audio mixer (Peavey RQtm 2310). The mic volume is at the maximum level as well as the gain with the amp at its max level does not produce enough volume. I was thinking of changing the amp to a higher watts but I now know that I have to match the ohms and the wattages. Can you please give me an example. Thank you very much for your help.

Tui

A couple of questions to get me on the same page as you are.

1. Is this for live sound reinforcement of for studio?

2. Are you connecting your speakers in series or parallel?

If you are only using 40 watt speakers, you are not going to get an enourmous amount of volume. By going to a bigger amp you will get more power, but without upgrading your speakers you are creating a bottleneck in your signal flow. Give me some examples of what you are trying to do with your sound system and I think we can help you out.

1. Is this for live sound reinforcement of for studio?

This is a PA system for a multi purpose hall with a sitting capacity of 500 people. In this system I always connect 4 mics to it (2 for the speakers, 2 for the questions from the audience), I also connect a CD player to the system.

2. Are you connecting your speakers in ?
    Excuse my ignorance but I do not know what is series or parallel.

If you are only using 40 watt speakers, you are not going to get an enourmous amount of volume.

I use 4 cone speakers of 40 watts each. This means that I have 160 watts all and all. It was working fine when I used the old sound mixer and the old amp. But up the mixer and the amp broke down. Now that I have the new amp and mixer(refer to the above post)problems started to pop up.

Thank you very much for your help.