music school advice

hey everyone, im looking into possibly trying a career out in recording or a related music industry field... ive been reading up on some schools that have programs im interested in, and i came across the musicians institute... they appear to have some really cool looking programs that id be interested in, has anyone attended there or know some more about it?

Blog Entries
    Quick note... you might need to be a bit more specific, like which country and which musicians institute exactly? Do they have a website we could look at?
    Dave Owen
    MediaCollege.com

its actually called the Musician's Institute.. the website is www.mi.edu ...they have a whole bunch of programs that seem pretty comprehensive... let me know what you think.. thanks!

Blog Entries
    I think I saw a Discovery Channel program about the Hollywood MI. It looked great but of course it was only a TV program.

I had a bit of a look through some message boards to see what people were saying about the institute. No one had anything really bad to say, although one dude claims that Joe Satriani said "MI cranks out Guitar clones".

A few people commented that MI may not have the same accredited courses that universities do, but IMO this isn't a big deal.

It was also pointed out that the MI is in a nice location where there are lots of musos. This has to be a good thing. Contacts are everything and the contacts you make at school can be as valuable as the education itself.

A lot of people seem to think the competition is between MI and Boston's Berklee (www.berklee.edu). I have no way of knowing for sure, but a lot of people think Berklee is the more academic option with better credentials, whereas MI might give you better practical experience.

MI does look like a decent organization. It seems to have more than enough credibility and the courses do look good. I'd say it looks like a good option.

Hopefully you can get some advice from someone with personal experience. Good luck.
    Dave Owen
    MediaCollege.com

yeah, thats actually sorta what i've heard... that MI gives you some awesome experiences, and really helps you prep for real world stuff, through their great contacts and through making your own... apparantly they have great faculty, guests, and alumni who are all very helpful!

hey, well ive talked to a bunch of people since i last posted and the consensus seems to be that what makes MI so special is the exposure to amazingly successful musicians and engineers there...apparantly the contacts you make and use are simply priceless... i like the idea of that, hehe...

Blog Entries
    Thanks for the updates. It sounds like MI has what it takes and I'd say you're very lucky to have the opportunity to attend such an institute. Good luck, and do keep in touch with your progress
    Dave Owen
    MediaCollege.com

yeah, i think it could be pretty cool, they're alumni list is so impressive, have you seen it!

hey guys! i just wanted to let you all know that i went to one of the workshop sessions at MI and it was absolutely great! i'm totally sold on the school now and plan on attending asap, hopefully this fall if i can get my life in order. i was able to learn so much in such a short amount of time there, i really can't wait! anybody happen to be in the area!?

Blog Entries
    Hey, good stuff dude! Sounds like you're on the path to glory

I'm very keen to hear how it all goes for you. Hopefully you can make it all happen and get there this year. Best of luck to you.
    Dave Owen
    MediaCollege.com