Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Need help with transparent background please!

Hi there. I have never posted before so please excuse me if I mess something up but I am looking for help with a psd file. It is a hand drawn butterfly which I thought I had saved it with a transparent background but when I drag it onto another file, it has a rectangle surrounding it with grey between the butterfly and edge. Can anyone tell me what I am doing wrong? Thank you!!
    I am going to try and include the file here.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by KSphoto; 18th Mar 2009 at 14:14. Reason: Added text.

Your file does indeed have a transparent background in Photoshop.

The problem would most likely be that the program you're dragging it into doesn't support transparency the same way Photoshop does.

I'm gathering it's some sort of page layout program?

Your best solution would be to put a clipping path around the edge of the butterfly.

I describe clipping paths in some detail in this thread.

(edit)

It's actually this thread!

Clownfish, Thank you for taking a look! I was actually dropping it into a new photoshop file so I'm still confused why it won't show as transparent. But I will give your recommendations a try in the morning and see what I can come up with! Thanks again!

Okay, now I'm puzzled ...

I tried creating a new Photoshop file and dragging yours into it, and it worked fine.

Just out of curiosity - are you trying to drag the layer, using the Move tool?

To explain:

Open your "Hand Made Butterfly" psd and your other Photoshop file, and place the two side by side.

Select the Move tool (the arrow-like tool at the top of the toolbox, or keyboard shortcut "v").

Grab the Layer 1 in the Layers palette of your butterfly psd, and drag the layer across to the other psd.

Otherwise, I've tried a couple of different scenarios, but haven't been able to replicate the situation you described.

Possibly it has something to do with the destination file? Anyone else have any ideas?

Hello;

I am not going to think off and write about possibilities of why on Earth your file didn't end up smooth and clean.

• I have opened your file with CTRL-O ( drag-open is the same ),
    • selected it with CTRL-A,
    • then copied it with CTRL-C,
    • switching to my other picture with CTRL-TAB
    • I have pasted your image onto mine with CTRL-V

the result was smooth and clear.

What ever has tangled you, try dragging this file, instead:

It is also PERFECTLY TRANSPARENT.

p.s. it's 24-bit PNG.

best regards;
    - kunter ilalan web designer
    follow him on twitter and on MediaCollege

Still stumped..

Ok. I am certain I am the biggest airhead on the planet but I followed all the instructions from kunter and this is what I came up with...it now has an all black background. I am going to attempt the clipping path that clownfish suggested and see where I get. Obviously, I better get myself signed up for photoshop 101. Thank you both!
    Attached Images Attached Images

No paths palette in pse...

Hey Clownfish, I just tried the clipping path as you suggested but I only have pse 6 and it does not have a path palette as far as i can see. any other suggestions on how i might try this? thanks again!

Got it!

I tried to add it to a Corel Paint Shop file and it worked! no stray box around it! Just the butterfly! Thanks again for your help!!!!

I have also experimented the dragging picture here and there, for a while.

From what I saw, I couldn't take my picture to a Photoshop awaiting for departure 'unharmed' when using MSIE, as the transparency of picture was not preserved, on the other hand, using Safari 4b I run into no problems with this a little weird "dragging" experience.

In neither cases there was nothing wrong seeing the image on browser - then download it and use it paying no expense. I also suggest you doing the later practice.

regards.
    Last edited by kunter; 22nd Mar 2009 at 11:32.
    - kunter ilalan web designer
    follow him on twitter and on MediaCollege

Quote: kunter
    View Post
    p.s. it's 24-bit PNG.
    That file is 32-bit PNG. 8r 8g 8b = 24 + 8a = 32
    Eric Adler (tonsofpcs)
    http://www.videoproductionsupport.com/ Chat at: http://tinyurl.com/vpschat
    Follow me on twitter: @videosupport @eric_adler

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast