pre-recording stock footage

I am new to DVD fomat, but spent many year using linear systems.
    I want to be able to produce large numbers of "personalized" DVD's for customers, each being unique in it's content, but also containing a large percentage of stock footage.
    The format will be as follows.
    Begin with footage of client prior to the experience, then stock footage of the experince, then finally a bit of the clent after the experience.
    With linear I would simply fade one into the other at the appropriate time, but I wondered if it was possible, (or for that matter adisable) to pre-record the stock footage, then simply add the beginning and end for each disc?
    I hope this makes sense to everyone, and I thank you in anticipation for any help you can give.
    By the way i haven't bought any hard or software for this project yet, so go nuts!!
    Regards,
    Bart

Blog Entries
    I think it's going to depend on what software/hardware you use, which in turn will depend on your budget. Do you mind if I ask how much you are prepared to spend? Also, do you have any editing software already?

Do the DVDs need any particular type of menu? Or is it just going to be a video which plays from start to finish? My guess is that each DVD wouldn't need to have a custom menu - it would certainly make it easier if that was the case.

What about the footage for each client - how are you editing that before adding it to the DVD?

Anyway, I'm a fan of Adobe Premiere/Encore for this type of work. I'm thinking of a template Premiere project with the stock footage already inserted, then you just import the custom footage for each video and drop it into the timeline. From there you can output directly to DVD as long as you don't need menus. The advantage of this method is that you can easily edit and customize each client's video if necessary.

If you need menus then it's a bit different - Adobe Encore would be the better tool. Encore can't do much in the way of editing footage (although it can trim clips etc), but it has the nice advantage of being able to make custom menus.

Of course, combining the two will give the best results. You could have template projects in both Premiere and Encore. Use Premiere to edit footage, and Encore to customize the menus.
    Dave Owen
    MediaCollege.com