Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Minolta DiMage 7Hi camera

Hi All

I bought a Minolta DiMage 5.2 megapixel camera recently on eBay cos I really wanted a compact that had a hot-shoe and flash sync terminal.

(I really would have liked a Canon 5D of course but haven't got $20,000 spare!!!)

The shots seem to have stunning resolution for a "cheap" camera (you can use eith JPEG, TIFF or RAW images) compared to other higher resolution cameras.

Has anyone got or used one of these that can give me some hints and tips???

Chris

old but useful sites:

http://webpages.charter.net/bbiggers...dimage_7_.html
    http://home-4.worldonline.nl/~t800373/
    http://www.jr-worldwi.de/photo/mod_dimage_power.html
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minolta_Dimage_7,_7i,_7hi

very useful software:
    http://ufraw.sourceforge.net/

don't use LCD screen - only EVF
    use only very good rechargeable batteries, for example GP 2500mAh NiMH

camera settings:

Rec.Mode->Custom1->Mag.button: Elec. mag.
    Setup->Custom2->Direct MF: On
    Contrast: -1

ps. sorry for my english

Hi Fuse

Many thanks..(your English is perfect!!!) Yep I don't use Digital Zoom at all and keep the EVF on, not the LCD to save batteries!! I'm using 2500mah NiMh cells which work fine but with this camera I always keep at least two more sets in the case (12 batteries in all!!!)

The links are very useful and thanks for you suggested settings. One thing that I found was essential was putting a card reader in my computer. 100 shots in Superfine mode take forever to transfer via the camera in USB1.0 mode and also eat up the batteries!! With the USB2.0 card reader I can transfer without using the camera!!

Finding a flash to work with this model is a nightmare!! This link below helps a lot but the units tend to cost more than a used camera!!!

http://www.dyxum.com/flashes/index.asp

I use a 7Hi as it's the only non-DSLR camera I can find that has a zoom ring on the lens. I really don't know how you are supposed to operate a power zoom and look thru the EVF on other cameras!!!!

Thanks again for the tips and settings (I'll also try contrast at - 1 )

Chris

Quote: ChrisHarding
    View Post
    Yep I don't use Digital Zoom at all
    Electronic magnification is very useful in manual focus (especially for macro: press the manual focus and zoom button)

View Post
    I'm using 2500mah NiMh cells which work fine but with this camera I always keep at least two more sets in the case (12 batteries in all!!!)
    currently testing my battery pack (inside is 6V gel accumulator) but is very heavy

View Post
    Finding a flash to work with this model is a nightmare!! This link below helps a lot but the units tend to cost more than a used camera!!!
    Yep - but has 7hi PC sync terminal for external flash

(http://www.soligor.de/src/product_de...=100&pid=58257)

Maciek

ps. also, try setting AV: -0.3
    Last edited by fuse; 27th Apr 2009 at 17:19.

Blog Entries
    View Post
    (I really would have liked a Canon 5D of course but haven't got $20,000 spare!!!)
    You?!?!? Just a month full of weddings shoots and you'll be, "right as rain." (Whatever that means... )

But with your schedule of activities - when would you even get a chance to enjoy it??
    SC358
    Relationships are based on compromises - behavior accepted is behavior repeated.

Hi Fuse and SC358

Thanks for the extra info guys. WOW fuse, that's really neat. Actually I could use a black plastic box as the 7Hi is all black. Admittedly the gel batteries are heavy. I was reading one of your links are they said that the camera can accept 7.2 volts without any problem but I'm wary!! It would be useful to be able to make a battery box with the same Li-Ion batteries as my video cameras!!! I have already made my on-camera lights so they use 7.2 volts!! Then again a simple voltage regulator could drop the 7.2v to 6v and Li-Ion's are a lot lighter than gels!!!!

SC358...I used to do wedding photography but now I stick to video. The Dimage always comes with me so I have nice images for the DVD case and I have done a couple of weddings where the bride needed so extra photos. However I use the Dimage as a personal camera really as I enjoy it's features. Doing video and photos is too much like hard work!!!

Chris

View Post
    I was reading one of your links are they said that the camera can accept 7.2 volts without any problem but I'm wary!!
    7.2V, this is not a problem:
    oryginal (for 7hi) External Battery Pack kit EBP-100
    oryginal (for 7hi) Battery Pack holder BH-100
    orginal (for 7hi) Li-ion Battery NP-100 7.4V

View Post
    Then again a simple voltage regulator could drop the 7.2v to 6v and Li-Ion's are a lot lighter than gels!!!!
    very, very, very important is the internal resistance of battery pack (accumulator+wire+plug)
    read this:

Quote: http://home-4.worldonline.nl/~t800373/
    The camera works fine. Then, when I remove one battery (5 cells active instead of 10 cells), the voltage dropped to 6.18V! The camera then continuous to work, but when I switched it off and on: low battery again! Now I start thinking that the voltage momentary drops too low at the very moment of switching on, which is logical, because the camera will shortly (few tenths of a second) draw a lot more than nominal current because of charging capacitors etc. The internal resistance of the 5 cell configuration is twice than that of the 10 cell configuration. So there we go!
    do not use any electronic components, they will increase the internal resistance
    Last edited by fuse; 28th Apr 2009 at 08:19.

Hi fuse

Many thanks for the power information. It's nice to know I can use a camcorder battery (They weigh a LOT less than gels) All you need to do is buy a cheap charger, rip out all the electronics, and use the charger purely as a "battery holder". Li-Ion camcorder batteries are a lot cheaper too. I bought 2 x 1300ma batteries and a charger on eBay for under $20.

Can you also give me some advice on using flash units????

I have a Bower 724AFM flash that is "supposed" to work with my Dimage 7.
    However it doesn't seem to get any TTL information from the camera at all and the guys at the website say I must change the camera settings first???
    The only flash settings I can see are Flash Mode and Flash Control in setup. Have you had any success using an external flash with the Dimage?? With the camera setup at default the flash runs at full power and, of course, over-exposes the image !!!

Chris

Hey guys,

I handled this camera only once, and I have had no opportunities to handle a Minolta nor the Alphas, so my apologies that I have nothing constructive to share/contribute.

Chris, if you need cells that has more power, consider Maha Energy Corp's PowerEx batteries. 2700mah (min 2500mah) and their Imedion series which is less at 2100mah (min 2000mah) and the latter is claimed to hold charge for half a year or more? I use them for my flashes and some friends use them for their Canon Powershots. Exellent power to drive flash refreshment rates up. I drain a set (flash) with shoots that can go as high as 600 - 800 shots.
    There's no bad camera, just a bad user
    Loong . Singapore

Hi Nagar

Nice to hear from you again!!!

The camera issue is not really a big deal. I just have the Dimage as I cannot find any other camera with it's features. Mainly the on lens zoom control and the ability to autofocus and then manually adjust. I must admit for a 5.2megapixel camera it produces stunning images (good optics plus virtually no jpeg compression)

I usually use it at weddings to get "location" shots for titles and also some of the happy couple to use on the DVD cover. Otherwise it's just my toy!!

The flash issue is annoying cos the only flashes that will work correctly (Monolta 3600 and 5600) cost more used than I paid for the camera so I might just use a manual unit (as long as the trigger voltage is under 6v)

Shooting much video???? Mine so far has been weddings, weddings and more weddings but the season is at the end now so I might just have a couple of months to do what I want to (back to the grindstone in August)

Chris

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast