Blog Entries

My experience with Audio Bone

The online medical dictionary defines bone conduction as sound transmission through the skull bones to the inner ear.

Some time ago I came across the topic about bone conduction either on the news or other format while watching television. I thought it was an interesting issue but since I didnít have a need to research it, the idea had laid dormant in the back of my head.

My selfless wife gave me an unexpected gift for Valentineís Day this year Ė an iPod Touch. As much as I wanted to have an mp3 player of some sort, I donít like earbuds or headphones because I could get carried away with music that I really do enjoy. I would enjoy it so much and get carried away that eventually over time, I would ruin my hearing permanently due to the use of these audio headsets. Then I remembered about bone conduction Ė hmmmmÖ something I can now investigate further.

I did a short amount of research and I have been in contact with Michael Barone, a musician who gave his opinion and experience with a pair of Audio Bone headset on You Tube. I emailed him with some questions and told me about his experiences using them. When I got my pair, I wrote to him about my couple days of experiences and even my professional opinion.

The Audio Bone looks like a regular audio headset but the transducers which vibrate, actually sit on the back of your jaw line outside of your ears. The vibration on the skull is the conductor (rather than air) and is picked up by the inner ear. You can see it here:

http://www.audioboneheadphones.com/products.html

Iím NOT an authority of the human physiological auditory system but bone conduction does skip at least one stage of normal hearing. Which is no sound waves is picked up by the ear drums. Since this is a different way of hearing for the user, current audio recordings are not optimized for this method Ė the audio concept of the source is wrong.

All music have been optimized with the use of speakers for the artist/composer/musicianís dynamics, therefore the listener can hear the intended sound. But now that we are skipping part of the hearing stage, that dynamic is lost.

What if music was now readjusted for the use of the Audio Bone without the consideration of conventional speakers/headset? A listener using these devices would probably say it was terrible.

What if a guitarist wanted to use a different guitar because when they heard the strings on the Audio Bone, it was the sound they were looking for? What if a drummer preferred a different set of tom-toms because it was richer with Audio Bone? Whatever music that has been created, recorded, mixed and released may have to be re-mixed to make up for the loss of what is normally heard to be what could be felt.

Since this is a different way of listening, the conventional method of reproducing sound with speakers should not be used as a reference when compared with the Audio Bone.

These actually work best in a quieter environment. When using it outside, your ear is also picking up the environment noise so the music is now competing with that. It's really difficult to enjoy the music on a bus or train.

Another issue is the lack of power output these devices have to drive the Audio Bone transducers. Iím not sure how this can be addressed. The output of my iPod Touch distorts depending on the content.

Just as a side note: Of course I was very interested in the Bose Noise Cancelling Headphones which really does have fantastic sound but the problem would be the same for me where I would have the music cranked up and ruining my ear drums.

SC358
    Relationships are based on compromises - behavior accepted is behavior repeated.

Is that the Michael Barone I know from Pipedreams?

Sorry, but the whole discussion is moot. Hearing damage does not happen at the eardrum. Hearing damage is caused by breaking off the tiny nerve cells inside the cochlea (inner ear). No matter how the sound gets to the inner ear, the damage mechanism is the same. If you can hear it, and it's loud, it's causing damage.

It may even be worse with bone conduction. There are three little bones that transfer vibration from the eardrum to the cochlea. These bones have muscles attached to them which tighten up in the presence of loud sounds, giving the ear a measure of automatic protection. Bone conduction may bypass this mechanism.

Of the five senses, hearing is the only one where injury occurs without any sense of pain, and often doesn't show up until decades later, by which time it's more than too late. There is simply no way to listen to loud music without paying for it.

Blog Entries
    Quote: karl eilers
    View Post
    Is that the Michael Barone I know from Pipedreams?
    I'm not sure. I don't recall if he is the same person of the Pipedream's on You Tube. The You Tube that I originally saw the review of the headset doesn't appear online anymore.
    View Post
    It may even be worse with bone conduction. There are three little bones that transfer vibration from the eardrum to the cochlea. These bones have muscles attached to them which tighten up in the presence of loud sounds, giving the ear a measure of automatic protection. Bone conduction may bypass this mechanism.
    There's just insufficient evidence of the long term effects of bone conduction and the stages of hearing that it bypasses.
    View Post
    There is simply no way to listen to loud music without paying for it.
    True, if not related to hearing it could be something else. High intensity vibration directly on the skull just adjacent to the brain... who knows!?!? It's bad enough we're using cellphones already.
    SC358
    Relationships are based on compromises - behavior accepted is behavior repeated.