Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Blog Entries

LED light panels

Anybody experiment/used these new LED light panels? And I mean the ones for shooting with, not just to light up your hallways . I'd like to get your thoughts and comments.
    SC358
    Relationships are based on compromises - behavior accepted is behavior repeated.

I saw them advertised at B&H but they still seem a little pricey (around $1680???) for a fairly small panel.

I use a DIY one with 48 LED's on my cam for weddings which set me back a mere $50 to make and it pushes out around 6.3 lumens per LED so you are looking at around 300 lumens for the array.
    There is a pic at :
    http://www.softweigh.com/video/diy.html

Making panels can be done the same way just with a bigger array of LED's!! Just for instance a pretty big array of say 1200 leds would make a panel around 3' x2' and give a rather impressive ouput of 7500 lumens!!

My little "on-cam" 8 across and 6 down array really saves my bacon when the lights go out at a wedding reception and I really like the idea of having fairly small and neat panels that are your video lights. They use very little current and run almost cool!!!

Chris

Blog Entries
    I never thought about creating panels I would need. That's such a great idea, Chris .

What about the color temperature? Are you dropping filters in? Does it create harsh shadows or is it soft without needing further diffusion? Are you running batteries or electrical? In regards to your picture - do you think you can come up with a way to add barn doors or a facsimile?
    SC358
    Relationships are based on compromises - behavior accepted is behavior repeated.

OK
    LED's come in two flavors!!! White (which I suspect is around 5400 - 6000K) and "warm white" which is 3200K. If you need both then just an amber light gel over the bright white LED's is fine. Mine are actually "warm white" (it's actually just a white led with a built-in mask) However I find that because I shoot indoors at functions where there is mostly a mixture of fluro and incandesant light, the 3200K ones mix better and the camera handles it using just auto-white balance!! Usually with weddings you don't have the time to do a white balance setup and in any case, a warm light is more flattering on people than a cold one.

I have 2 soft boxes with a DIY light source inside being a bank of 9 x 28w CFL lights and using 5000K lamps gave me problems with blue casts!! so I went the 3200K route on the LED's as well.

I see the B&H panels have 525 leds in them and are 12" square. That's a nice light-weight panel with some serious output (Over 3000 lumens)
    You could build a panel like that for around 1/3rd of the B&H cost!!!

All LED light is soft to begin with so you get little or no shadows so a diffuser is not really needed

Chris

I saw one of the Roscoe ones at a demo last year and it looked nice, I've seen shots of the small 3"x3" panels used in hard to light close-quarters situations, but other than things like that it seems that a frezzi or AB on-(or off-)camera light is more economical and more useful.
    Eric Adler (tonsofpcs)
    http://www.videoproductionsupport.com/ Chat at: http://tinyurl.com/vpschat
    Follow me on twitter: @videosupport @eric_adler

Hi Guys

What's annoying is solid state stuff is rated in lumens and conventional lights in watts!!! This makes it very hard to decide what to use to replace lights!!!
    I currently use soft boxes with a DIY unit inside them using 9 x 28w CFL lamps (3200K) which makes a bank of 252 watts. However CFL's are supposed to be 5 times as bright as incandesent lamps so my bank is "technically" 1260 watts!! This is, of course, soft light so it never looks as bright as, say 2 x halogen redheads!!!!

The BIG problem now is to figure out how many lumens of LED's do I need to get the same output of light as my CFL's???

Who can do the math??????

Chris

The watts are rough equivalents as branding for household usage. All lamps/fixtures should have an output rating of some kind (direct or indirect ... lumens, candela, footcandles, lux [lumens per square meter], etc.). Fixtures with lenses or filters sometimes will include a table of expected light output with standard/recommended lamp types. Gel swatches should list light transmission specs throughout their spectrum (with awesome little graphs for those who need to know reductions at exact color temperatures [e.g. monochromatic film shooters]).

For instance, this package of Philips Soft White 40W "Medium Base" (A19 shape) bulbs that I have in my hand is rated at 500 lumens and says so right on the front, in just as big numbers as where it says 40 watts and 1000 hours of life. It even says on it (in small print) "To save energy costs, find the bulbs with the light output you need, then choose the one with the lowest watts."
    Last edited by tonsofpcs; 11th Apr 2009 at 05:16.
    Eric Adler (tonsofpcs)
    http://www.videoproductionsupport.com/ Chat at: http://tinyurl.com/vpschat
    Follow me on twitter: @videosupport @eric_adler

Hi Guys

Just an update on LED Panels!! I found a local slim plastic box that was 5" x 5" and I have managed to squeeze and 48 LED array into it!! The only difference is these are 10mm LED's not 5mm and actually have 5 standard chips embedded in the moulding all in one. They use 100ma per LED but give off an impressive amount of light for a tiny 5" square box. The beauty is that I run them off a switched power supply of 15v so the whole array uses a mere 1600ma !!! so it's compact and portable. You could, of course use as many LED's as you like but I got mine from TOPBRIGHT on eBay and 50 x 10mm 220,000mcd LED's cost me only AUS$35.00!!!!

I'll post when I have some pics tomorrow.

Chris

Blog Entries
    Wow! What a great deal! Hopefully it's a jewel in the rough for you because this is not the norm. I always get a high finding such treasures... cheap with a heavy impact!!

I look forward to your results.
    SC358

Hi Guys

Here is a pic for you!! The panel works very well despite the fact that it's only 5" square and cost under $40!!! eBay has a nice range of 10mm LED's now in warm white which is ideal for indoor shoots.

OK, who's making one?????

Chris
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast