XLR to Mini XLR Adapter

Does anyone know where I can find an adapter to go from Male XLR to Male MINI-XLR?

I am wanting to try using a Countryman mic normally used w/ a wireless bodypack on a regular cable, w/ phantom power from the sound board. The cable on the mic now is configured for an AKG bodypack (mini-xlr).

Hopefully this will solve having to purchase another wireless system to run this mic, when the DTV switch finally goes into full effect. Mobility is not an issue, as it is for a keyboard player.

Thanks!

Blog Entries
    Hello tempo27,

Can you solder? You're better off just replacing the mini-XLR with a regular one. It would be less expensive and quicker. Otherwise, check with Markertek.

SC358
    Relationships are based on compromises - behavior accepted is behavior repeated.

POTENTIAL DISASTER ALERT!

The wiring for a body-pack mic is usually not the same as for a regular XLR connector. For starters, it's not usually a balanced circuit. Nor is it low impedance. And different brands of body packs are wired differently. And a body-pack mic usually expects a couple of volts of phantom DC, whereas the board probably puts out 48 volts. You can get yourself in reeeeeeel trouble here.

Short of a custom-engineered solution (read: $$$$) you're stuck with the wireless link. Sorry.

Check with the mic's manufacturer for an adapter plug, they can tell you if there is one that will work with that mic (and will gladly sell it to you). A lot of these lavs don't even use 'standard' mini-XLRs but slightly modified ones that only mate with equipment of their manufacturer (or mate with multiple manufacturers equipment but only "work" with theirs).
    Eric Adler (tonsofpcs)
    http://www.videoproductionsupport.com/ Chat at: http://tinyurl.com/vpschat
    Follow me on twitter: @videosupport @eric_adler

Blog Entries

Stop the presses!! Karl is right!

It would be in your best interest tempo27, to check with the manufacturer first before doing any surgery. In the past, manufacturers choose to do things slightly different that don't necessarily keep to standards.

At one of my previous jobs, the Countryman mics were belt packs. The Countryman mics at my (current) job have a standard size XLR and it was my assumption that it was modified by another engineer (no longer around).

By piecing the 2 different situations together, unfortunately I came up with improper steps for your solution - my apologies.

Karl - thank you for pointing out that potential problem.
    SC358
    Relationships are based on compromises - behavior accepted is behavior repeated.

Thanks!

Thanks for the great info and suggestions....back to the drawing board!