Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: dvd vs blu ray

Nope

Your movie will be in SD on a DVD. You should be editing in HD (so you can then render out to HD at a later date) but render the file as an MPEG2 so your DVD Authoring software can create the necessary VOB files for the DVD player to read and send to the TV.

Regardless of the TV, the movie will be in Standard Definition. You cannot fit HD footage onto a 4.7GB DVD (well 6 minutes maybe)

Of course what you CAN do is render the footage out as a 1440x720 or 1980x1080 Window WMV file (That will be HD!!) and transfer just the file onto a media player drive and then feed the signal into your TV's HDMI socket and you will have true HD. I suspect in the very near future we will find BluRay dying a natural death and being replaced with solid state players!! 32GB SD cards have already plummeted in price and very soon they will cost the same as a BluRay disk. (Here a blank DVD costs 31c but a blank BluRay cost $25.00!!!!)

Just for interest you can get Media Players now for under $300 that have SD ports, USB ports and a hard drive and plug directly into your HDMI TV so playing HD video is becoming easier and easier.

Chris

Quote: ChrisHarding
    View Post
    Nope

Your movie will be in SD on a DVD. You should be editing in HD (so you can then render out to HD at a later date) but render the file as an MPEG2 so your DVD Authoring software can create the necessary VOB files for the DVD player to read and send to the TV.

Regardless of the TV, the movie will be in Standard Definition. You cannot fit HD footage onto a 4.7GB DVD (well 6 minutes maybe)

Of course what you CAN do is render the footage out as a 1440x720 or 1980x1080 Window WMV file (That will be HD!!) and transfer just the file onto a media player drive and then feed the signal into your TV's HDMI socket and you will have true HD. I suspect in the very near future we will find BluRay dying a natural death and being replaced with solid state players!! 32GB SD cards have already plummeted in price and very soon they will cost the same as a BluRay disk. (Here a blank DVD costs 31c but a blank BluRay cost $25.00!!!!)

Just for interest you can get Media Players now for under $300 that have SD ports, USB ports and a hard drive and plug directly into your HDMI TV so playing HD video is becoming easier and easier.

Chris
    but my video is HD, its 1440x1080, and the file is only 1.1 GB, cant i fit that onto a regular dvd? and wont that play at its current quality of 1440x1080? im sorry this stuff is very confusing to me, i dont know what i should do. I want to avoid creating a bluray copy as much as possible, because if i create one bluray copy im gonna have to create a copy for everyone in my movie, and thats gonna cost alot. how can i play the video and get the maximum quality, and what is this media player drive thing, where can i get one? can u giv me a link so i can see what they look like? and how can i connect them to an HDTV, is it just through an HDMI cable?
    besides this media player drive, how can i get tha maximum quality out of my movie if i use a regular DVD, since my whole movie is only 1.1 GB at a resolution of 1440x1080?

and also, if i render as WMV with a template of 6.4 Mbps HD 1080p-24fps i can still create a regualr DVD right? and this relates to my question up above, will it play back as 1440x1080 (which is what the resolution currently is) since the movie is 1.1 GB?

thanks very much for answering all my questions so far chris
    Last edited by Ma7amee7o; 21st Apr 2009 at 04:22.

Hi

I think that I need some help from maybe an HV20 user now to continue???

It must be an incredibly short clip to only be 1.1GB at full HD resolution. As far as I know 1GB of HD video would be less than a minute of view time!!! However unless DVD players have changed, as far as I know a DVD player and a DVD disk cannot resolve HD video (I may be wrong of course!!!) To play HD video I was under the impression that you must have the file written to either a solid state device or to a BluRay disk and played in a Bluray player.

Can someone else clarify this situation please ????????

Chris

View Post
    Hi

I think that I need some help from maybe an HV20 user now to continue???

It must be an incredibly short clip to only be 1.1GB at full HD resolution. As far as I know 1GB of HD video would be less than a minute of view time!!! However unless DVD players have changed, as far as I know a DVD player and a DVD disk cannot resolve HD video (I may be wrong of course!!!) To play HD video I was under the impression that you must have the file written to either a solid state device or to a BluRay disk and played in a Bluray player.

Can someone else clarify this situation please ????????

Chris
    yeh cuz i was under the imression that the whole point of the bluray disk is the huge capacity, and soemone told me (although i dont know if they are right or wrong) that HD footage will be read by a regular dvd player. the movie is 25 minutes long, at a resolution of 1440x1080, i was surprised myself, i do not know how that happened.

I rendered it as MPEG2 and it still turned out to be 1.1 GB.

can someone clarify the situation please?

HD video, will it be played on a regular dvd player?

again, thanx very much chris

OK, this one is easy!!

You rendered to an MPEG2 file so it's SD automatically now. The TV will simply crop the SD image that is oversize to suit the screen (if it's an HD TV then it will simply play it as is) However the video quality will still be SD but it will also look very good!!!

The only thing I don't know for sure is if the DVD authoring software will accept the 1440x1080 format! Try and see??? It might insist on 720x480 but if it accepts the bigger video size then burn it and tell us the outcome!!

Chris

View Post
    OK, this one is easy!!

You rendered to an MPEG2 file so it's SD automatically now. The TV will simply crop the SD image that is oversize to suit the screen (if it's an HD TV then it will simply play it as is) However the video quality will still be SD but it will also look very good!!!

The only thing I don't know for sure is if the DVD authoring software will accept the 1440x1080 format! Try and see??? It might insist on 720x480 but if it accepts the bigger video size then burn it and tell us the outcome!!

Chris
    Will do,

ill try to burn the MPEG2 file and also burn a WMV version and ill see which comes out better.

but u said that since i rendered it in MPEG2 then its SD now, but it still has a resolution of 1440x1080, how is it HD?

thanks again

Hmmmmmm

I can honestly say that I'm not sure!!!

What I have done is posted a question for you on the Panasonic Forum as I have tons of contacts there (I use Panny cameras) and there are some HV20 users there as well. Check this link and you should get an answer from someone there!!!

http://www.pana3ccduser.com/showthre...355#post115355

There is also a very active HV20/30 forum online somewhere as another friend of mine uses it but I cannot get hold of him. If the Panny forum cannot give you an answer then look for the HV20 forum and see what they have.

I'm also interested to know what the result will be!!!!

Chris

View Post
    Hmmmmmm

I can honestly say that I'm not sure!!!

What I have done is posted a question for you on the Panasonic Forum as I have tons of contacts there (I use Panny cameras) and there are some HV20 users there as well. Check this link and you should get an answer from someone there!!!

http://www.pana3ccduser.com/showthre...355#post115355

There is also a very active HV20/30 forum online somewhere as another friend of mine uses it but I cannot get hold of him. If the Panny forum cannot give you an answer then look for the HV20 forum and see what they have.

I'm also interested to know what the result will be!!!!

Chris
    thanx very much chris

im actually a member in the HV20 forum, ill ask them

im going to be burning the dvds this friday, ill let u know what happens

thanx

OK, here is your answer from my HD guru friend who did everything in the book with his HV20 so he is pretty smart!!!

http://www.pana3ccduser.com/showthre...383#post115383

Chris

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12