Thread: Drum Shields

Drum Shields

Hello all - can anyone give me some tips from experience with drum shields/enclosures?

We have been throwing the idea around for awhile now at my church. No one has any real experience for reference though. I have heard from a variety of sources that it is necessary to do a complete box, w/ lid to completely stop the acoustic energy.

I have also been told a shield that extends above the cymbals would be sufficient.

My concern is that the latter option would just send the sound up to the ceiling, and back down to the audience...a few milliseconds late, and thus create a problem of muddy music.

We have a pretty small sanctuary, and an "enthusiastic" drummer. I realize that would be the easiest fix right there, and he is coming around to the need to play softer (I myself am the other drummer in the church, so I realize the challenge) but even then, it gets pretty overpowering pretty quickly.

I have looked at the Clearsonic type enclosures at a trade show, and they seem very well built and effective...but do we need the "full-meal deal"?? Mic'ing the kit is a given, especially w/ a full box.

I have searched the forums for previous posts, but couldn't find any...so if this has already been addressed, point me that direction!

Thanks!! Your input is appreciated, from behind the mixer, or behind the drum kit!

With a small sanctuary and an enthusiastic drummer, you not only need a full box, it has to be absorptive (like an office cubicle) which visually isolates the drummer too, since you can't use glass. In a reverberant room you would need a pretty full box anyway, cuz if there's reverb on drums (real or mixed in) they just turn to mush.

(This is one of the reasons very old church music was written the way it was, at a time when secular music was full of drums and tambourines and so on. You have choir and organ, maybe strings and brass, but no drums except isolated kettledrum hits. Drums just don't work in a cathedral, even if played quietly.)

I would double-dog-dare the drummer to see how quietly he can play. Make it a challenge. And tell him the ability to step into the shadows and direct the audience's attention to somebody else is one of the things that marks a pro.