Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 19

Thread: dvd vs blu ray

  1. #1

    dvd vs blu ray

    i am currently shooting a movie on a canon hv20, full hd, cinema mode

    i will edit the movie in full hd on sony vegas, and the final movie will also be full hd, but this is my question:

    if the final movie file is less than 4.7 gb, and fits on a regular dvd, and played back on a regular dvd player on an hd flat screen, will the movie be viewed in full hd? or do i still have to burn the movie on a blu ray disc?

    thanx

  2. #2
    Hi
    You will get around 6 mins of HD onto a standard 4.7GB DVD only so that's not much use. However a lot of DVD players upconvert now by default so even a standars SD movie is upconverted to 1980x1080 to fit the HD screen. Just bear in mind if you want to make a BluRay disk then you need a BluRay burner and a BluRay player on the TV end too.

    Chris

  3. #3
    yeh 6 minutes wont be enough lol, i have around 10 to 15 mins, so i guess my only choice is blu ray?

    what if the movie isnt in full hd? if it was 1280x720, how many minutes can i fit on a regular dvd?

    im guessing the movie has to be hd for the hd tv to convert it right? and im guessing this applies if my movie is hd and on a regular dvd?

    thanx chris

  4. #4
    I may not be right but I'm pretty sure that a BluRay player will actually read HD footage as SD if it's on a standard DVD!!!!

    Your better option is to shoot in HD, edit in HD and then write the final movie to SD. I still shoot in SD but I am told that there IS a difference in the picture and it does look better!!!

    I do wedding videos for a living and shoot in SD as few here have BluRay players anyway and it seems like they will also die a natural death too in favor of solid state players using SD cards.

    Now, I put an SD video sample on DVD and the clients play it on their screens the size of a football field and they are blown away by the quality!! Unless you are doing intense macro shoots then most people cannot even tell the difference!!! In fact, tell them it's HD and they will say WOW!!! If you content is good probably 99% of people won't even notice the quality as they are concentrating on the content!!!

    Chris

  5. #5
    Quote
    Quote: ChrisHarding
    View Post
    I may not be right but I'm pretty sure that a BluRay player will actually read HD footage as SD if it's on a standard DVD!!!!

    Your better option is to shoot in HD, edit in HD and then write the final movie to SD. I still shoot in SD but I am told that there IS a difference in the picture and it does look better!!!

    I do wedding videos for a living and shoot in SD as few here have BluRay players anyway and it seems like they will also die a natural death too in favor of solid state players using SD cards.

    Now, I put an SD video sample on DVD and the clients play it on their screens the size of a football field and they are blown away by the quality!! Unless you are doing intense macro shoots then most people cannot even tell the difference!!! In fact, tell them it's HD and they will say WOW!!! If you content is good probably 99% of people won't even notice the quality as they are concentrating on the content!!!

    Chris
    lol yeh ur right, if i tell pple that its HD i dont think they will notice its not.

    but im shooting in HD and editing in HD, then u say i should convert the final movie into SD? and write it to a regular dvd? will that have better quality than shooting in SD and writing to dvd?

  6. #6
    The quality will definately be better on an HD TV!!
    However as most people cannot see the difference or don't bother to notice I still shoot and edit in SD as I'm a wedding videographer. If I had to shoot and edit in HD I doubt whether I could render 1.5 hours worth of video and edit it before the next gig arrives!! I often shoot two in a weekend so in HD the render time is huge and I would not finish in time.

    I can render a batch of SD clips totalling 100 minutes to MPEG2 in under an hour with my DuoCore 2.2GHz machine. In HD we are talking about days!!!!! It's fine if you are doing short clips just for yourself but you also have to think whether others will have a BluRay player before going full HD.

    I would seriously stick to SD DVD's then at least anyone can watch it on a standard player!!

    Chris

  7. #7
    Quote
    Quote: ChrisHarding
    View Post
    The quality will definately be better on an HD TV!!
    However as most people cannot see the difference or don't bother to notice I still shoot and edit in SD as I'm a wedding videographer. If I had to shoot and edit in HD I doubt whether I could render 1.5 hours worth of video and edit it before the next gig arrives!! I often shoot two in a weekend so in HD the render time is huge and I would not finish in time.

    I can render a batch of SD clips totalling 100 minutes to MPEG2 in under an hour with my DuoCore 2.2GHz machine. In HD we are talking about days!!!!! It's fine if you are doing short clips just for yourself but you also have to think whether others will have a BluRay player before going full HD.

    I would seriously stick to SD DVD's then at least anyone can watch it on a standard player!!

    Chris
    im going to render it in HD, then put it back into Vegas and render it again in SD, this was I can make a bluray and a regular dvd copy, and just play which ever one i can. if they got a blu ray player, i play the blu ray copy, i think that would be best.

    thanks for all ur help chris

  8. #8
    chris

    i have just finished rendering my movie, and at 1440x1080 pixels, the entire movie is 1.1 GB. I can fit that on to a regular DVD, but if i do that, will i get the full pixels when I play it back on a regular DVD player on an HD screen?

  9. #9
    Most, if not all DVD players and TV's will automatically make your video "fit the screen" Whether you are showing it on a 12" or 50" TV it will still be adjusted to fit.
    What template did you use in Vegas Movie Studio to render your video to MPEG2 ???? That's quite important!!

    Chris

  10. #10
    Quote
    Quote: ChrisHarding
    View Post
    Most, if not all DVD players and TV's will automatically make your video "fit the screen" Whether you are showing it on a 12" or 50" TV it will still be adjusted to fit.
    What template did you use in Vegas Movie Studio to render your video to MPEG2 ???? That's quite important!!

    Chris
    i dont understand, so will the movie be in HD when played on a regular dvd player on an HDTV?

    template? i rendered the movie as a .wmv file, 1080p-24 fps

    should i render it as MPEG2? im a beginner in this HD stuff, its the first time i work with HDV, thats why i have no idea what to do lol

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Subscribe to us on YouTube