Recording From A Mackie

Church has a good Mackie recording mixer. We use it for sound reinforcement (PA). Right now I use two cassette decks (yuk!) to record the service so as not to miss anything. I start "Two" before "One" stops. I want a cleaner/easier format.

Either one of this little boxes (exp. iAUDIO) that encode .mp3 real time up to like 20 hours. Stand alone CD recorders, in which case i would have to buy to two sense I can only get 80 mins. per CD. Possible MiniDisc (Sony) several hours of record, but gets real expensive to be able to USB to a PC for editing (can't rip a MiniDisc) And yes our service goes three hours sometimes.

Suggestions... Comments... Cries of Outrage...

Blessings,
    James the "Sound Guy"

Blog Entries
    I'm really from the old school. Using dual cassettes really isn't so bad. There would have to be a considerable amount of money to spend if you want to setup with hard disk recording then burning to cd. Why not just invest in longer tapes? It's the best way economically. Want to go one step up the ladder? Record on VHS. Tape is cheaper now and you can record at the slowest speed to get the most out of it - maybe 2 services on one tape!

Beyond this point, I assume you would want to go with an external hard disk and not DAT. 20-40GB is still on the market fairly cheap (that's really a relevant pov). Then if you distribute your church's recorded services, your ok with an mp3 unless you have to give out a cassette.

Find out if anybody is planning to upgrade their computer's drive and willing to donate the old one, in good condition of course...

SC358
    Relationships are based on compromises - behavior accepted is behavior repeated.

More details...

We do give out copies of services and classes, and in the half year of taping only one request has been made for tape. I currently use two 120 minute tapes for each service. Most of the time 2 hours is enough. I'm going cheap and rotating out the tapes. It's about two months before I do a dubover, and even then I use "side two."

I have edited, made a finished product, archived the raw to CD, before the tapes get recycled. It's the real-time tape to PC using an external A/V card (internal had lots of PC noise, "DC offset" is what GoldWave calls it) that gets to me. I record the service... 2 Hours, ingest to PC... 2 hours, edit message for sales, edit music for band to critique their sound... 2 - 3 hours. So I'm just tring to save a little time is the reason for the change.

BTW... We don't have a building yet, so everything has to be portable. My goal will be a large PC/Server when we get a building. For now setup on Saturday night, breakdown on Sunday night, setup & breakdown Wednesday night all in a school cafeteria.
    Last edited by JamesSaved; 27th Jul 2005 at 11:19.

Blog Entries
    Well God bless you JameSaved . I have done simialr work as you but not as frequently, so I feel for you! What's the possibility of having a laptop to record the service and use the tape as a backup? I currently don't have any recommendations for software but that's easy to find out.
    SC358
    Relationships are based on compromises - behavior accepted is behavior repeated.

I have bought GoldWave to edit with for now. It does just fine for $45 (US) and untill we grow to doing more involded editing I'll stick with it. Does live recording in full CD quality sound, two channel.

The Laptop idea has been crossed my mind, but it would be an issue of money. I would want a just-get-the-job-done kind of thing so money could be better spent for wireless mics and such.

That's the reason that I had stuck with a small portable device... A cheap used laptop is still valid, just have to weigh all the options. Price, quality, reliability, portability, user-friendly...

BTW here we are all set up...
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Yeah, I've done the exact same thing with our church except I only record our band. I use my desktop computer (becuase laptop sound cards don't have a line in so I can plug the mixer into it) and they only have mic in and audio out and sending line level through mic leveled input first of all makes a really bad hum and the audio just sounds horrible becuse it's clipping. yeah, it'd take me about 5 mintues to set up my computer and hook up the RCA out on the mixer to my line in and hook up the audio out to 2 mono channels (simply becuase we only have mono channels) so I could play sound effects on my computer and send them to the house as well as record our band. This is what I personaly found best even though it gets old unplugging and plugging in everything twice every sunday becuase I have to use my computer at home the rest of the days for school work. Recording straight to your hard drive is good becuase you can just open the file that you recorded then saved and edit it that way instead of having to hit play on your tape player and record on your computer as well as making all the nescessary connections. I hope that all these trial and errors that I have experienced, as mentioned above, helps out.

Re: Recording From A Mackie

You've probably looked at it by now but check out this marantz recorder. http://www.d-mpro.com/users/folder.a...9&SubCatID=180. I don't like flash media myself, but it's cheaper than a laptop and gives better results.