Keith

XLR to 1/4" Mono Jack

Issue....

On the page: XLR to 1/4" Mono Jack in the first example you show that Pins 2&3 on the XLR both go to the Sleeve. In the second example, you have Pins 1&3 getting jumpered and ultimately go to the Tip.

2 Questions....

1) Was the second example in error, in that pins 2&3 should be jumpered instead of 1&3, or were you just trying to show that +ve / -ve isn't important?

2) I have in my possession a few Mono 1/4" to XLR cables that were purchased and they are wired differently altogether. They have 1 wire going from the XLR to the Tip, 1 wire going to the Ring and one wire going to the shield in the cable itself.

The question on #2, is, what are the cables I have in my possession for versus what your wiring diagram is for?

They have to be different, as the ones I have in my possession don't always fit the bill. ie: I'm a Bassist and I have one old cabinet that has an XLR Male connector on it. If I wire from that cabinet to a 1/4" jack on my amplifier, I don't get ANY sound at all, nothing. If I wire it the way you describe in example 1, it works like a champ!

Thanks for your time....
    Keith

classic phase cancellation

ok, to answer your question, the way that this website shows the XLR being wired is correct. Also, whatever you do, do NOT connect pin 2 and 3 together as you WILL NOT get any sound. the way you want to wire 1/4" stereo/ 1/4" TRS to XLR is as follows: tip to 2, ring to 3, sleeve to 1. But if you are wiring 1/4" mono/ 1/4" TR then wire tip to 2 and the sleeve to 1 and DONT connect ANYTHING to 3 as this will result in either ground looping or phase cancellation. The way you want to be wiring it since your a bassist, you're running 1/4" mono, so just connect tip to 2, then 1 and 3 to the sleeve and that will get your bass working. The reson why you get no sound when you connect pin 2 and 3 together, that is becuase pin 3 is the exact same audio wave as 2 except its inverted, meaning that if you were to look at the audio waves on a graph, this is what would be happening: (please refer to the JPEG that I have attached once I attach it tomorrow). Also, If you want to learn more about why you get no sound when you connect pin 2 and 3 together, then look at my "phase cancellation" thread and that will explain it, though its kinda long but its worth it, I personaly think. OOO. sorry , almost forgot question number 2, the way that its wired up is exactly what you want for converting XLR TO 1/4" mono, the only thing that I'd do to make sure there isnt any ground looping, connect XLR pin 1 to the sleeve and pin 2 to the tip and just leave pin 3 unwired.. Either one of these ways will work, but imake sure you dont get ground looping if you wire it up the way this website says to.. HOPE THIS HEELPS!!
    Last edited by andrewr; 19th Sep 2005 at 04:02.

Re: XLR to 1/4" Mono Jack

Try this link. It has a chart on how to wire just about every kind of connector. http://www.rane.com/note110.html. It's accurate.