Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote: karl eilers
    View Post
    Just went thru earlier posts, and there's another thing I completely agree with Bassred on. Running separate amps to midranges and tweeters is begging for trouble. Aside from the high probability of blowing the tweeters, it's almost impossible for someone who doesn't have a golden ear and/or sophisticated test equipment to match levels between them. Then you wind up trying to fix the problem with EQ, and pretty soon everything is screwed up.

There's also a beam-tilt problem. In the crossover range, where both midrange and tweeters are working, if the sound wavefronts of midrange and tweeters are not perfectly in phase, the speaker's coverage angle will tilt up or down. In extreme cases (which, on probability alone, will happen 50% of the time) you can even get cancellation. In many speakers, the crossover is around 2kHz, which puts the problem right in the middle of the frequency range most critical for vocals.

Without careful study, you have no way of even knowing what the proper phase angles at crossover are supposed to be. This is a complicated issue and most people are better off using the mid/high crossover built into the speaker.
    I didn't mean to jump at you, but the OP was asking about adding/hooking up a basic piece of the PA puzzle, so I think it's most likely the best form to explain how it is going to work the easiest way. If he is unsure of how to make sure his rig is hooked up correctly with his crossover, there is a larger margin for error in any wiring scheme that is non-conventional.

But yeah, 2-way (Sub/Tops) rigs are pretty easy to figure out/dial in/ get going, once you add that third separation of frequencies, you open a big can of worms that doesn't need to be opened.

Now, when I was doing corporate show work, we bi-amped most every box in the shop, but we also had our XTA speaker processors and i-Tech amps dialed in for each particular unit. We were also a pro shop where even the utilities on the job were A-2 level or higher.

FOr the consumer level gear that is most commonly used, it's another headache.

Thanks for all the input. Since my OP, I have learned quite a bit, so here's my new plan:

Mixer Channel 1 > EQ Channel 1 > Crossover Channel 1, which splits to
    Crossover Channel 1 LOW > Sub Amp Channel 1
    Crossover Channel 1 HIGH > Mains Amp Channel 1

Mixer Channel 2 > EQ Channel 2 > Crossover Channel 2, which splits to
    Crossover Channel 2 LOW > Sub Amp Channel 2
    Crossover Channel 2 HIGH > Mains Amp Channel 2

I'll then run Speakons from the amps to each speaker.

Is this correct?

That is the intended wiring for your needs/use.

Hi!

I've got one question about this XLS Crown amplifiers.
    At my work we have Crown CE1000 amplifier, but he died
    We run JBL sub with two 8 ohm speakers in parallel and in bridge-mono.

So the problem is that CE1000 is out of production but I have one spare XLS802 left. I read manuals and there is data for load: Stereo 8 and 4 ohms, Bridge-mono 8 ohms. But on the box of the amplifier there is also data for Stereo 2 ohms and Bridge-mono 4 ohms.
    So, can I put XLS802 in Bridge-mono 4 ohm load or not?

Sorry for my english...

Thanks for your replies

Sadly, the answer is no. The XLS series is not rated for a 4 Ohm load in bridge mode.

Can you rewire it (put one jack for each speaker) and run each speaker off one side of the amp? That would be 100 less watts than the CE1000 was pushing (would be 500 watts to each speaker). What kind of sub is it and what is the rating for the drivers in the sub?

Found this thread looking for crossover info. The " sneaky" way of connecting in bridge mode was interesting and useful for an understanding of what the amp does. Any tips on parrallel bridge mode?. Can most amps be wired this way or just Crown?

Cheers

GCT

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12