Uploading images to forum??

Hi! I have been having technical difficulties uploading an imgage from "My Pictures" file onto a forum blog.

The software of the forum is phpbb (?) if that is relevant. The blog forum is new, and have been told there are some "kinks" to be worked out...
    however, I've noticed other members with lovely creative backgrounds for thier blogs and I am going on my 6th or 7th attempt .

I even hosted my images on ImageShack and attempted to upload from the "forum" code, to no avail.

I've a second question and this may have some relevance as well.
    I recently downloaded NortonAntiVirus*Internet Security 2005.
    Could this program be blocking HTML and interfering with images uploading to a forum site?

(I will attempt to upload my image here for what it's worth )

Thanks in advance for any insight you can give me!

~Ladyblue

Blog Entries
    How did you go trying to upload an image in this forum? I think that would be a good test of what's happening.

phpbb doesn't come with image uploading as part of the standard package - the forum owners would have had to install a modification to allow it. It's not for the faint-hearted and it's quite possible they haven't done it properly.

The Norton program could possibly be interfering. Can you disable it completely just while you test?

Hosting an image on another website and trying to transfer it to a forum can be problematic. It depends on exactly how you do it, but most image hosting services (especially free ones) have restrictions on linking from other sites.
    Dave Owen
    MediaCollege.com

I just browsed my PC files for the image which is stored in "My Pictures" folder...
    I've WindowsXP-Home Edition.

Obviously, it failed to upload w/an error msg reading: image too large.

I previously resized it down to 500 x 500 pixels

It must be apparent by now I am quite the novice here!

I'll try to upload again from another file, "My Documents".

Thanks for the swift response Dave... and if all else fails I'll uninstall Norton and re-try.

( foiled again:
    "sandy beach.jpg:
    File Too Large. Limit for this filetype is 97.7 KB. Your file is 154.1 KB.")

Btw, your support forum is invaluable and I appreciate your efforts

~ladyblue

Blog Entries
    There are two ways to measure the size of an image file:
    (1) The pixel size (eg 500 x 500 pixels, which by the way, is still fairly big)
    (2) The file size (eg 100KB)

Most forums (including this one) will specify both a maximum pixel size and a maximum file size. You might want to have a look at our Internet graphics tutorial for more information.

Thanks for your kind comments
    Dave Owen
    MediaCollege.com

Thanks, Dave!

You've been most helpful...
    I really appreciate it

~Ladyblue

Allen

Modifications for uploading images in phpBB

Wow! You're the first person that I've heard say that modifications can be made to the phpBB standard package to allow uploading images. Can you point me in some direction to get more information on this? Or is it something that can be explained here?

Blog Entries
    It's called the "attachment mod" and you can find it at http://www.phpbb.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=74505

It's not something that can be easily explained here. Your best option is to go to http://www.phpbb.com/mods and learn about how mods work with phpbb. It will take a little time to figure it out, but it's quite a good system and once you understand it you can add lots of mods. On the downside, the more mods you add the harder it is to upgrade.
    Dave Owen
    MediaCollege.com