Thread: drop menu

drop menu

Hello people, exellent site, i am glad i found it.

I found a tutorial that really hit the spot, it was exactly what i was looking for.

You guessed it, the drop menu tutorial is the one i liked and want to use but before i want to proceed with this i need to know something.

How can i place the menu where i want it to appear, must i place some sort of coordinates in the code, must be, but i don't know how to do this.

Could somebody be so kind to give me a little bit of advice on this, i would really like to know how to paste this in the code of the tutorial.

Blog Entries
    Thanks for the comments, glad you found the site useful.

There are many different ways to place elements on a web page. The way you do it will depend on the way the page is laid out. The most common methods are tables and CSS. Tables are easier but more limited, and technically not the best option. CSS (cascading style sheets) allow you to place things on the page using coordinates and other methods. This is the better way but it's much more complicated.

Is there any way you can show us the page you want to put this on? That would be the fastest way to help you.
    Dave Owen
    MediaCollege.com

Actually i am using sitespinner, this is a exellent program to work with and is ideal for a newbie on making websites as myself, i don't know anything about html but the projects i am working on looks like the most websites you encounter on the net.

You ask me if i could show you the page, then i could use a free hosting and upload it to there but i was thinking what if i want to change it again, then i have to turn to here again.

This i don't mind but i like to learn and know things for myself and if i learn a little bit more about coding in the process this would be much more usefull to me.

I will try to upload a example page, just a simple page and you can see then where i would like to have the menu, but could you please give me some good advice on this because it's good to have advice but a half job is when i need you to ask again and again, and i really don't want to do this, this slows a person down in his way of work.

I hope you know what i mean just also don't want to be a nag al the time asking the same thing over and over again.

I will try to upload it and come back to you again.

See ya

I have uploaded a example page for what i have in mind concerning the position of the drop menu.
    Something went wrong with the title of the page but this is another problem i need to solve, btw first time i uploaded something to the internet .

Please take a look at http://www.free.hostdepartment.com/s/spitfire234
    http://free.hostdepartment.com/s/spitfire234
    You can see the position of the menu that i have in mind.

I hope this helps guys

#%$%^ i dont know what the $^^&* is going with this free hosting company but the link doesn't work from time to time.

If somebody can give me another url of a free hosting, please do because this one @#$@$#.
    Last edited by spitfire; 16th Apr 2005 at 13:51.

Blog Entries
    You have got the right attitude, wanting to learn how it works properly. Without doubt the best thing you can do is learn some basic HTML. Pretty much everything you do with websites revolves around HTML. If you know how it works you can do just about anything, but if you don't know how it works everything will be much more difficult and you will continuously run into trouble.

Have a look at our Internet tutorials and read through the Web Design & Development pages. It takes a bit of time, but you will save yourself countless hours in the long run. Once you've done this you will find things like positioning elements on the page quite easy.

In the meantime you could use the following code to place the menu on your page:
    Code:
    <div align="right">
    <!-- The Drop-menu code goes here -->
    </div>
    Hope this helps.

BTW, free hosts are almost always rubbish. Sorry I can't suggest anything better but that's just the reality of it. If you want a serious site you'll have to pay for it.
    Dave Owen
    MediaCollege.com

Thanks for the code Dave.

I will be viewing the tutorials regularly.

Dave, when i entered the code till my amazement it worked meaning a menu appeared like i wanted, i only need to figure out how to place links of my page and how to position it but in due time i will get this done, i hope .

BTW, it really feels good when you get what you have in mind on the screen, i am kinda getting the webmaster feeling .

Only one thing though that i didn't understand, when i previewed the page and it previews in IE, it gives a message in the top that i have a program that want's to open please click for options, you know what i mean it is the same when doing a online scan and it also asks you to view the options before continuing.
    I also have SP2 installed.

Can this be fixed? because i don't want my visitors having this message, i also don't see it on other sites including mediacollege.com that has these sort of menu's.

Oh yeah one more thing, your "GO" button looks much nicer, why does mine looks so big and elongated, yours really looks like a button, in the code that i used i have the same size button as the drop menu.

Blog Entries
    Can you upload the page so I can see it?
    Dave Owen
    MediaCollege.com

Hello, Dave i am back again and have discovered some strange results and a nice suprise.

The strange result is when i preview it in sitespinner, IE displays a message in the top toolbar as i described.
    But i have uploaded a example and now i don't see anything, yes that's all good but do you have a idea what the reason is why i see this when previewing it in sitespinner?

And the nice suprise is regarding positioning the menu, this is so easy, it's like blinking your eyes so easy , i only have to place the code on the work page and it automaticly position the menu where i position the code object on my work page.

As you can see, i managed to make it.
    So the only thing that bolders me now is why i saw this display in IE when previewing, as you can see for your self there is nothing wrong with it viewing it with the regular browser.

Great Great tutorial, really helpfull.
    Oh yeah about the button, must have made a typo or something .

Blog Entries
    I suspect the error message might have something to do with your frameset, in that it would be trying to call pages from the Internet when you were viewing it locally. Without seeing the message I can't be sure but that's where my money is.

Anyway, great to see you've got it working - well done
    Dave Owen
    MediaCollege.com